Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #11
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Chrome Downloaded "fl_setup.exe" and Virus Total Says It's Virus - Now What?

I would never hand you to a malicious site. The link is safe. You have my word.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:07 AM   #12
MMM
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Chrome Downloaded "fl_setup.exe" and Virus Total Says It's Virus - Now What?

Jakeny, sounds like your PC has picked up some adware malware or spyware which can sneak through most antivirus programs so don't be too concerned in what virus program you are running, it happens at times.
Go to Malwarebytes website & download the free version then run the program as this should remove your problem, you could purchase the paid version & keep it on your pc which will work in harmony with your antivirus program which should give you near perfect protection.

Malwarebytes link:https://www.malwarebytes.org/?gclid=...52&tracking=cj

If you need more help with troublesome adware malware or spyware then visit this site for expertise help. http://temerc.com/forums/index.php

MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #13
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
Even if you never clicked on the file it may still be able to create problems.
How? Something somewhere has to actually run or otherwise use the file before it creates a problem. I could download a million virus executables and be perfectly safe so long as I didn't run them.

This isn't to say that you shouldn't get rid of the file (you should since it came from a drive-by download) but simply having the file on your hard drive will not by itself cause you any problems.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:12 PM   #14
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to connchri

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
How? Something somewhere has to actually run or otherwise use the file before it creates a problem. I could download a million virus executables and be perfectly safe so long as I didn't run them.

This isn't to say that you shouldn't get rid of the file (you should since it came from a drive-by download) but simply having the file on your hard drive will not by itself cause you any problems.
Exactly what I was going to say. An excutable is not a worm...

There's a lot of rubshub being said of this thread. Without mentioning the brand, or singling out the post: how about we leave out the slating of brands - especially when the example I have in mind, from this thread, is completely contradicted by independent tests and reviews, and its use in the comercial market.

Now, if it's deleted, and your machine is behaving, a quick virus and malware scan is all you need (that I think is not warranted in this case, but if you want to put your mind at ease...). If that checks out ok, then I doubt very very much that there's anything to worry about.