Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
Baseband Member
Default Changing server security/AV, suggestions please!

Hello. I have been running my own servers for a while. For antivirus I use Alwil Avast. I really like this anti virus because I scans all connections, emails,etc. for viruses and most of the time catches them. For a very powerful computer like my gaming PC its not a problem that it is resource intensive. For my server it is a problem though. Avast takes a large amount of RAM and my server only has 256MB available. My server operates just fine but when a scheduled virus scan is started the server slows down considerably. I know it affects programs such as TightVNC so I imagine it also affects its ability to receive email.

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a replacement anti virus. As you would imagine free is preferred. Thank you!

OS: Win XP PRO SP2 | RAM: 2GB | COOLING: Heatsink and fans, not factory | MOBO: Biostar 6100-m9 | GFX: GeForce 8400GS | SOUND: SB Audigy SE | NET: RTL8201 | CPU: AMD Athlon64X2 3800+ 2.0Ghz (current highest OC at 2.15, its a work in progress, will finish during spare time)
---90% of teens today would die if Myspace had a system failure and was completely destroyed. If you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.---
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
Send a message via Skype™ to CrackerJacker
Default Re: Changing server security/AV, suggestions please!

Thats kind of tough to say because most anti virus programs takes quite a bit of ram... Trend Micro is probably the lowest resource I can think of but that isn't free. Avg has a free version, never had a problem with that slowing down a computer. I would test that.
USAF KC-135R Crew Chief
i7 2770 @ 3.4ghz, Geforce GTX 560 ti, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD 120gb, cup holder
I would imagine if you could understand Morse Code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy
CrackerJacker is offline   Reply With Quote