a+ certification jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

computer geek1

Baseband Member
I am going to a trade school in Ohio and got accepted into computer information technology to get my a+ certification. But they offer another computer course cisco technology tech prep. In that class you get an ccna. And the school fees are only 150 dollars for each class. I want to go into computer security but don't know what class to take. Can you help me? :)

Go with the CCNA- you will make much more money, and have a LOT more respect. A+ is nothing, you can get that anytime. I'm a Computer Technician, and I don't have my A+, not because I can't get it, but because not many need, require, or want it. I've seen A+ techs work in shops I was in, and didn't know how to spell computer, much less how to fix one. CCNA- great networking stuff

its suppose to be a test acknowledging an advanced understanding of general computers. I beleive that the ccna is pretty much the same thing, although what the ccna considers an advanced understanding is much more comprehensive. You can get a job as an IT guy with a+ certification, or maybe a job in a computer shop fixing computers, but if you have ccna your more likely to get a job as an IT, and will make more money because its a more prestigous and harder test.

I'm 17 years old, i have my a+ certification, and got a job as an IT in an office complex paying 15 dollars an hour. And i by no means am a computer genuis. In fact a lot of times i have to research problems, and if i cant figure out i come to computerforums.org and ask you guys :-D. I work 20 hours a week. If i worked a full 8 hour day for 5 days a week i would make $31,000 a year.

The guy who got me the job works two buildings down from me, and has 3 different kinds of certification. He has his a+ certification, ccna, and i cant remember the third, and he makes $65,000 a year working a 8 hour day 5 days a week. Thats twice as much, partially because he's older and is a full-time employee, but mainly because he has more certification. If i were you i would go for both.

Iam also 17 years old to. But I did not know on which would be better. But thank you for the advice I will take the cisco class to get my ccna

mayorredbeard said:
The guy who got me the job works two buildings down from me, and has 3 different kinds of certification.

That's the key- the guy who got you the job. In this business, you can know people and get very far. Where does that leave the rest of us? Working our a** off (censored myself:D ). Sounds like you have a great job- I wish we all could be so lucky- but that's not likely. I'm not knocking you- I'm happy for you. I understand you're young, and you probably think it's not a big deal to have the job you got.
Most jobs I have applied for, aren't worried about certifications- their worried about experience. Every "entry level" job I've applied for has one item that says: Minimum 5 years experience. WTF? For entry level? This is my dilema. I don't "know" a guy that could get me a job making that much- I have to play ball with the "cut-throats". And that's not easy.
I don't want to scare anyone away from Information Technology, I'm just giving you an example of what it's like for me- and what I've seen.
The bottom line- A+ is a stepping stone. Don't stop their. The more you know, the more valuable you are to the company that hires you. To me, a certification is proof that you passed a test- not proof that you know what you're doing. Companies want proof- and a certification looks good on the resume- but what if they give you a hands on interview, by putting a computer in front of you, give a brief description of the problem, and tell you that you have 10 minutes to figure out the problem correctly, and the recommendations to resolve it. I had an interview for a job like that. I worked their for a year, until something better came along.

My dad is in computer security as a base contractor and If I go with the ccna I could work as a base contractor making 50,000 dollars easily. Not to mention working with my dad as a network defender.

computer geek said:
My dad is in computer security as a base contractor and If I go with the ccna I could work as a base contractor making 50,000 dollars easily. Not to mention working with my dad as a network defender.

What's a base contractor? And what does/you it do, obvious something to do with computer security..? And, Is that one of the top paying field in I.T?

CCNA, to do that do you have to do Uni.. wait on *

** Hold on ill be editting this post to add more as i got alot to say/ask**

Actually wait, i dont want to hijack this thread do you think i should ask this all and etc in a new thread? *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom