Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #11
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to ssc456
Default Re: Can Your Computer Cam Be On Without Light?

What are all you people doing in front of your laptop that makes you so paranoid about your webcam

I've never given it a second thought, if they do happen to hack my webcam all they will ever see if me gormlessly staring at the screen, or perhaps making a rather strange happy face, but I can't say I ever leave my laptop open propped up on a chest of drawers while I go and get changed in front of it?

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
Fully Optimized

Well, to be honest I only use mine at work. I don't even have a laptop at home. But being the IT guy, I figured it would be bad if someone actually managed to hack it and there I was stuffing my face with Funions and Mountain Dew, oblivious to the fact I was reinforcing the typical IT guy stereotype....

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #13
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc456 View Post
What are all you people doing in front of your laptop that makes you so paranoid about your webcam

I've never given it a second thought, if they do happen to hack my webcam all they will ever see if me gormlessly staring at the screen, or perhaps making a rather strange happy face, but I can't say I ever leave my laptop open propped up on a chest of drawers while I go and get changed in front of it?
Same for me. I rarely ever use my webcam and it's never crossed my mind.
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
The Candyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
A piece of electrical tape is the first thing to go onto any laptop I use that has a webcam.
Same here, i've seen my cam go on by itself once and ever since then i always keep it covered up.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #15
In Runtime

Now that you said it. Your making me paranoid, but what do I have to hide? I have a really small room. They can see me yell at my monitor while I play games..they can see me singing, or see me getting dressed(Im a guy just to you all know). But in a women perspective, I can see why you should be paranoid about it.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #16
In Runtime

I don't think anyone should be paranoid about any aspect of computer security - paranoia simply stems from an incomplete understanding of the risks.

Excluding the situation where someone is specifically 'out to get you', you have nothing to worry about as long as you follow safe browsing and email practices. i.e. If you know that wifi hotspots are riskier networks than at home, then you don't log on to your bank etc.
_michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:35 AM   #17
In Runtime

Ive never understood why people are so paranoid about stuff like that. I never think about it and even if they do hack into it they aint gonna see much. Plus i dont got anything important on my computer so they can hack all they want lol

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Computer Forums mobile app
dev893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #18
Baseband Member

I don't mind the visual as much as potential audio hack that comes with having a cam.

I have a window behind my computer, so they'd mostly just see me (my face) and the window behind it. But if audio were also detectable, then I could be in trouble, since I talk on the phone and say all sorts of other private stuff around my computer area.

jakeny is offline   Reply With Quote