The best security

If I had to run all that list of software to feel "safe" or "sure" while surfing the web, I'd turn my computer off and walk away from it because it simply wouldn't be worth my time to keep up with all of that. Not to mention that I have multiple computers which would make the task even more arduous.

If you use your computer for banking or you have important files in there, I think it's worth the effort. You could just select one of the many computers you own and do it only there. It would be a shame if something bad happened and you could have avoided it just by setting up a few programs.

If you want to be sure, there are a few things you can install:

• An antivirus program, maybe Bidefender or Avast
  • A firewall, like Comodo or Zonealarm
  • MBAM as a second layer for random scans and whatnot
  • Spywareblaster
  • An anti-keylogger. The last one I used was Ghostpress, which seems to be pretty good, although it needs some initial settings that may be annoying for some
  • Secunia PSI or other software updater tool, since outdated software can make your computer vulnerable
  • Maybe a VPN, although sometimes they can really screw up your bandwidth and have limited data, unless you pay for them
  • A few secondary programs, like Unchecky, a browser extension that checks if sites are safe based on user reviews (WOT was an option but then something happened that I can't remember now and became insecure, Avast has an extension for this though), CCleaner, Adblockers, etc.

If you think you could be already infected then you should clean your computer first, or do a clean Windows install.

I'd skip the firewall. Ensuring the built-in windows one is on should be good enough. A firewall really has a rather simple job: keep unsolicited traffic out of the machine. The default one does this fine.

Also I'd avoid free VPNs. Probably more dangerous than not having one unless you're sure it's trustworthy. And In my experience cheap ones are slow.

The others you mentioned seem good to me.

I'd skip the firewall. Ensuring the built-in windows one is on should be good enough. A firewall really has a rather simple job: keep unsolicited traffic out of the machine. The default one does this fine.
About the firewall, in my experience I've found the 3rd party ones more user friendly than the built-in. It's easier to set exceptions and levels of trust and a number of other things. Zonealarm is really friendly and doesn't have excessive customizations that would discourage you when trying to find your way around the settings. Other than that, I'm sure the built-in is as secure as any other.
Also I'd avoid free VPNs. Probably more dangerous than not having one unless you're sure it's trustworthy. And In my experience cheap ones are slow.
There are some free VPNs that are trustworthy. Tunnelbear is a good example. However, it's almost impossible to find a free one that doesn't limit your bandwidth and has limited data, but it's not fair to complain about that, it is free after all.
Also, they usually don't let you choose the location you want to "be" in, but to be honest, VPNs were not created to unblock sites and content that are not meant for you.
The others you mentioned seem good to me.
It would be great if you could add something, it's been a while since I've done any research and that may be outdated.
I forgot to mention ransomware, which is a very big deal (usually not for a regular person like us, but it could be), and there is a thing called WindowsUnlocker by Karspersky that I'd never tried but it's supposed to be really good. I'll leave the link just in case: WindowsUnlocker.

I forgot to mention ransomware, which is a very big deal (usually not for a regular person like us, but it could be), and there is a thing called WindowsUnlocker by Karspersky that I'd never tried but it's supposed to be really good. I'll leave the link just in case: WindowsUnlocker.

I feel like the best defense for this is just making regular backups. that way you'll only lose a week or so of data instead of everything.

I feel like the best defense for this is just making regular backups. that way you'll only lose a week or so of data instead of everything.
Yeah that is for when you don't have backups and get infected. And if the week of data or whatever you would be loosing is important.

Backing up should be done even if you don't think you can get infected by ransomware. With that in mind, and since we've been listing software, Crashplan is perfect for this sort of thing. It can be a bit annoying to set up (or maybe I'm a moron) but it's pretty useful.

My computer is used for gaming and the internet, and banking. I'm looking for a good set-up that isn't a hog on the system. Right now I pay for Advance System Care Ultimate which has the virus, it also checks to make sure the drivers are up to date, and a few other features. I also have the free version of CCleaner. Let me know what you use.

If Advanced System Care has a virus then uninstall the programme.

I can't really recommend just winging it and hoping for the best.

Backups work well if the malware is a type that makes its presence known, but technically something like a keylogger is far more dangerous, and you are unlikely to spot it without a good AV program.

Windows Defender has come on in leaps and bounds, but I'd recommend something like Kaspersky or Bitdefender if you're looking for an AV that is a little more advanced.

An interesting one I had recently was a coinhive variant. Just by visiting a site, it ran a script using your computers processing power to mine cryptocurrency whilst you were on that page. Seems to be quite common on blogs etc these days. And yes, Windows Defender seems to detect this one!

Hey I use Bitdefender Total Security+Zemana Anti Malware+HitmanPro+HitmanPro Alert, but I am also a bit paranoid, occasionally I use a VPN Service.:lol:

When on the Internet, especially for banking or sensitive task, I always have my VPN on (but not a free one!!!)

Back
Top Bottom