Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Bad virus, considering my options.

Hey, the computer I'm posting about is a p4 3.2 ghz dual core processor, 4g ram, 250g hard drive, 9800 geforce nvidia. The OS is windows home its currently updated sp3.

This computer has been down since last september. I know thats a ridiclous amount of time, but I lost my internet service and I still don't have service. I'm posting from a library so any recommendations you have program wise should be some thing I'm capable of downloading and booting off a USB onto my other computer.

All right, down to the nitty gritty of the problem. When this virus entered my system it launched a massive amount of other pests to destroy my machine and flood my anti-virus program while it did its work. The virus either deleted or moved my startup files and shortcuts, and also set all my document files to invisible mode. It sends a message every now and then that its "scanning for viruses" which i suspect is actually installing another horde of other viruses. When its done it says for so-and-so amount of money it'll repair all the errors it found. I tried doing a system restore and such but the virus causing the actual problem is a bit of b*tch.

So I'm going to hope that some one out there can recommend a program that can help me get rid of this virus. If not then I need to learn how to reformat my system. When I bought my computer it came booted with windows home and no install disc. I heard that when companies do this I can still reformat it to default using the right commands. I have no idea what those would be any information would be very useful.

Thanks for reading. Any help is greatly apreciated I'm more than a little irritated at this point.

nonsensical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Solid State Member
Default Re: Bad virus, considering my options.

I would recommend a reformat to be honest, purely because even if a virus protection program can fix it... it might still be lurking around in your system somewhere and it is ready to strike again or steal your personal information. I would definitely consider the reformat.
Every time I get a dodgy virus I don't even back things up, I just format the hard drive re install the operating system, get some anti virus and start over because you never know.

Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Bad virus, considering my options.

Get a copy of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and install it on your PC. Boot up in safe mode and run Malwarebytes over and over until it doesn't find anything.
But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.
cboucher is offline   Reply With Quote