Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default Bad Virus

I recently clicked on a wrong link in google search and that site attacked me.(Dont remember the address). First my browser froze for a good 2 minutes then a ms removal had a little alert pop up warning me about harmful spyware. I do not recall ever having downloaded this program or it already being on my computer.

So 30 seconds later the ms removal tool scanner popped and scanned. I was a little suspect because the scan was a little too fast and came up with 35 viruses so I closed out of it. A minute later it popped up again and came up with the same number. I knew it was a virus so I started to run my BitDefender 2011.

About 5-10 minutes into the scan everything exits and my desktop went blue (the windows classic blue). I went down to see if my taskbar and start button they were still working. I tried opening BitDefender again but said some .exe(I didnt remember it) has an error and wont let BitDefender open. Okay so I tried to open Opera and google what the problem could be but it would not let me open it.

I shut it down by holding down the power button and get into safe mode with networking. I get BitDefender open (my laptop running at normal speeds no signs of trouble) and do a deep scan. It came up with 2 viruses. So I go back into the normal mode and the problem was still there.

I go back to safe mode with networking and download spybot search and destroy. It came up with with 1? adware and a pup, I click yes to have all the issues fixed. I then opened my ccleaner and have it clean up my registry because I thought there may have been a problem in there. 2 issues because of me deleting large files.

I go back to normal mode and its still there. So I go back to safe mode and google MS Removal Virus and nothing comes up but the actual program, on microsofts website. So I down load it and am currently doing the scan.

Anyone ever have this problem and no how to fix it? Sorry for the long post I just wanted to get all the detail down that I remembered.

Oh and there was another altert saying one of my pluggins on firefox is infected. It started with an O but I know I didnt install it or recognize it as a media pluggin.

straka91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Daemon Poster
Default Re: Bad Virus

you could try in safe mode doing a system restore.

Asus M4A88T-M/USB3<>PhenomII X4 965e<>Asus ENGTX460
Seagate 320GB/1TB<>Win7 Ulti 64Bit<>Antec900
SyncMaster 2220WM<>HyperX 16gb<>Cooler Master 600W
detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Beta Member
Default Re: Bad Virus

*Update* Microsoft Malicious Remover Tool found no infections.

Originally Posted by detox View Post
you could try in safe mode doing a system restore.
Thanks trying it now.

Seems to have done the trick. Much appreciated.
straka91 is offline   Reply With Quote