Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default AVG free Anti-virus

I am currently running AVG free anti-virus software on my computer and was wondering how effective this is for discovering and removing virus'. Is it really worth buying a different anti-virus program and paying yearly fee's, or is there another free program that works better, or is AVG good enough as long as I am safe and don't download any unknown files to my computer or open any crap from email that may let a virus into my system. I have been running this for a long time and haven't had any problems or anything jeopardize my system but I am now getting more into computers and am going to be doing my first build and getting into programming and don't want my new build being susceptible to virus'... Any opinions will be great.... THANKS!!!!!

PokerDegenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to netBooger Send a message via MSN to netBooger
Default Re: AVG free Anti-virus

AVG is actually pretty good and you will be fine sticking with it. Just keep it updated and you shouldn't have much to worry about.

|| Cosmos 1000 || Asus Maximus Formula SE || Q6850 3.00GHz || Zalman 9700NT || BFG 8800GTX OC || 4GB Corsair Dominator 1066mhz || Enermax Galaxy 850W || Windows Vista Ultimate 64 || WD Raptor 150GB x2 + WD Caviar 350GB ||
netBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Wow that has got to be the quickest response in the history of the WORLD...LOL...Yeah I get auto updates and have a scheduled scan set up daily and wanted opinions on the overall quality of the software... Thanks for the quick response...
Old 01-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

people who pay for antiviruses are a bit foolish really, unless they have money to blow. the free stuff is fine. i like avg, along with nod32
Old 01-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Cool thanks... So far that's 2 yays and 0 nays....LOL...Like I said I'm currently using AVG free and haven't had any problems with it at all and I didn't think my computer was unsafe, just trying to see if most other people agree that it is ok to continue using it once I build my new computer...Keep the feedback coming....Also is there anyone here that has any other recommendations for other free anti-virus programs out there that are better....Also has anyone had a bad experience with any that definitely should be avoided once I build my new computer?

Old 01-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

I use Free AVG too and thats after using McAfee for a while and getting a hit, Norton was just unnecessarily hard on the computer and eventually corrupted my OS and PC guard just seemed unjust.

So I went back to trusty Free AVG.

Also it helps to employ good PC up keeping.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

I personally prefer Avast!, but AVG is fine. No need to pay for an AV. Just stick with the freebies like Avast, AVG etc

Just keep it updated, but just because you have an anti virus doesn't mean your %100 protected from a virus. But it minimizes the chances and helps you A LOT.

EDIT: McAfee is also good, I've tried Norton, I use to pay for it, had it for 2 years and it wasn't worth it, terrible IMO.
StratosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:28 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

I just found this http://www.computerforums.org/showth...635#post885635
Old 01-06-2009, 02:30 AM   #9
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to SuxoR

Just watch what you do on the internet and hardly any protection is needed at all :]

Nothing's better than a smart user

SuxoR is offline   Reply With Quote