atom ransomware

Status
Not open for further replies.

tewitt1949

Baseband Member
Can someone explain what atom ransomware is? What does it do and how will it affect my PC? Does it have anything to do with some one spying in my PC?

<<DELETED>> I'm asking for my wifes cousin who is a mid 60's female. I know she had problems with a friend (guy) where she donates time getting into her laptop and he all of a sudden he became (if this is the right term) moderator of her google account and was getting in to her gmail. Everything she did he was reading it. Could he have put that into her laptop from his phone at home? She has been having weird stuff going on with her pc.

Is it a file or program that can be deleted?

Last edited by a moderator:
Even that may not guarantee the computer isn't still infected. iirc atom processors had a vulnerability that left them exposed even with a fresh hdd/os install. Once part of the cpu was infected, even changing the hdd etc was useless.

This ransomware has nothing to do with Atom processors... It's just a silly name.
<<Deleted>>

Please OP, it would be great if you could provide more information regarding your hardware, OS and the symptoms you are experiencing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until a moderator somebody with actual Authority tells me otherwise I'll say whatever I like.

Please drop the inappropriate jokes.

I get it was meant as a harmless joke, but bear in mind not everyone who posts here may be at all tech savvy, so what you see as a joke may be unintentionally taken seriously.

On the other hand, if you've got any good advice related to the question at hand, then post away! :)

Last edited:
Please drop the inappropriate jokes.

I get it was meant as a harmless joke, but bear in mind not everyone who posts here may be at all tech savvy, so what you see as a joke may be unintentionally taken seriously.

On the other hand, if you've got any good advice related to the question at hand, then post away! :)
Hey man you got it, it's your barbecue and it tastes good. But on the other side of the coin if people at this forum can't tell that I was joking then they deserve to pour bleach into their intake fans.

Last edited:
OP:
I would advise your wife's cousin to report this to the local authorities. If they brush it off, do a quick Google search for an FBI field office number near you (they all go the same place) and explain to the agent on the line what is going on. He's already broken federal wiretapping laws and I'm sure a host of others. People think it's funny because they can guess or crack a password, until lives are affected. Don't stand for it, and they may be able to get files back, but most likely not unless he has the decryption key. I used to work with the FBI tech lab in Denver while I was at the DA's office and ... well there's a lot they can do, and a lot they can't, but either way, they don't let people do crap like this. Also too, if she reports it to the 5-0, they'll likely confiscate his items and perform a download. They'll know very quickly if he's involved in illegal activities (e.g. logging into her account).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom