Apple will lock your phone if it is worked on by anyone but Apple...for your security

The problem is related to the smartphone's home button, which contains a Touch ID thumbprint reader that can be used to unlock the device rather than inputting a four-digit security code.
If the phone is damaged and a non-Apple repairer replaces the button, a subsequent update of the operating system detects a non-standard component and shuts down the device. There is no known way of bringing it back to life.

Does Apple have the right to do this? I think they do because even though you own the phone, the software that runs it is probably like all other software and you only buy a license to use it and that can be revoked at any time.
What do you think?:confused:

Apple makes a mean phone but they are your typical evil corporate company. Obsessed with money and they don't care about investors or consumers. I think this may bring a class action lawsuit against them. Unless they explicitly put "usage of a non-Apple vendor to repair your device will render it inactive" in their terms and agreements than this is not legal. Also they gave no warning that this sort of thing would occur, which is a shady business practice that I believe violates standard business ethics.

No one should be having this issue. If the home button malfunctions, go to the apple store and they'll give you a replacement for free. It's simple.

Since at this time it's only a replacement of the home button that triggers the error, I can kind of understand their stance on this as being a security precaution. Since the home button is also a biometric scanner that allows access into the phone.

But experience tells me that's only where it starts. If they wanted to implement it as an optional feature, wonderful. But they didn't. They didn't even warn anyone. The truth is more likely that they are using the security benefit as an excuse. It's just a gateway for them to further lock down the devices and seize more control over "their" devices.

I agree, they are in their rights to do it legally, but it isn't very a moral decision to be sure. Truth in advertising comes into play here too, was this ever disclosed?
It is another way to ensure product obsolescence and the need for replacement purchases.

It is another way to ensure product obsolescence and the need for replacement purchases.
That's what I think it is. Probably both that and Apple wanting to protect their brand image. The marketing team probably doesn't want devices around with modifications that look or perform any differently than their standard. As far as the legality? I'm curious as well. It's just the age old discussion. Am I actually buying a product, or just the rights to use it?

Apple is at it again. It's a disgusting business practice.
If they really feel that no one else but themselves can make secure fingerprint scanners, then why not just disable the feature if they registre a 3-party home button. Not everyone is using that feature anyway.

But oohhh no, let's just brick the sucker's phone.
Apple is literally saying "You don't want to pay us for our overpriced repairs? Well f*ck you then."
(yes i know there is a way to fix it, but still. You need some IT knowledge to do so. And not everyone has that)

This reminds me of when they installed that water sensor in the charger port on the iPhone 4.
Many people was denied legit warranty repairs even though it had nothing to do with water damage.
Apple didn't even want to open up the phone if the sensor showed signs of water. (or just moisture)

Last edited:
They should've just disabled use of the biometric scanner if it was a third party repair if they're concerned about security. Though I can see where they're going with it, I guess a thief could get into a locked phone by tampering with the button. Perhaps it was a known security issue and there've been reports of thieves "hotwiring" the button to get in etc.

I don't buy that.
If that's the case, why doesn't apple just require that 4pin code that you made when setting up the fingerprint scanner if it register a 3 party scanner?

It would be easy to program. Kinda like,

If scanID != StoredScanID
{
FingerprintScannerEnable = false
Promt.4Pincode
}

(i am not a programmer, as you can properly see. But it should get the point across)

Besides there is easier ways to bypass that lock. Hackers releases and updates tools and guides all the time for it.

Last edited:
They should've just disabled use of the biometric scanner if it was a third party repair if they're concerned about security. Though I can see where they're going with it, I guess a thief could get into a locked phone by tampering with the button. Perhaps it was a known security issue and there've been reports of thieves "hotwiring" the button to get in etc.
You can still tampervwith the button and go change all account passwords etc. It only bricks upon a new update, by then any damage has been done.

I wish I was super rich. Then I would buy a metric shit ton of apple stock, become a controlling interest party, get put onto the executive board, and make apple treat its customers better/ do more for them. Apple sits on a giant pile of cash all the time. They can afford to make a lower profit (literally as they just have lots of money they don't use).

Back
Top Bottom