Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default Is Antivirus Necessary? (For Me?)

Ever since I have started working on computers, I have used Avast! Free Antivirus, and while my loadout of programs has changed over the years, my choice in antivirus has not.

On my older systems, I've been searching for lighter versions of programs to run, as newer ones continue to bloat and use more memory and ram. Avast!, which used to use about 70-100mb of ram IIRC (back in 2011), but now pushes resource usage in Windows 7 up by about 300mb.

Bloat isn't the only nitpick I've got with Avast! and other antivirus programs. I use my antivirus as antivirus, and just that. I use Ccleaner Lite to clean my files, and openvpn as a vpn, why should I have to uncheck boxes to not install Avast!'s paid versions of these whenever I set up a system? Not only that, but Avast! won't scan for PuP's unless you set it up to do so. It also won't update itself unless you set it up to do so(program version only, definitions DO update themselves). Avast! Free edition also comes with its own ads now too, including periodical bragging about all the good its doing your system.

In recent years, my loadout of programs has expanded to include Malwarebytes Free edition and Spybot Search & Destroy because I have found that Avast! doesn't quite catch anything. In fact, according to the last two years of Avast! logs on my older systems (except for one without Spybot S&D, which Avast! did stop a virus on), Avast! has stopped nothing. I have never been in a situation in which Avast! has proven useful in preventing or removing viruses.

To test this, I reloaded my main laptop, which I use every day for class work and web browsing at school, coffee shops, and at home, with just Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes. I am five months in, every weekend I update and scan with both programs, and the whole experiment has gone off without a hitch.

I'm not saying that antivirus is unnecessary for everyone, I pray to the gods of security and privacy eight times a day to keep my computer as clean as possible, but if Avast! isn't really necessary and removing it gives my old systems usable life back, then whats the point in having it?

aPanzerIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Is Antivirus Necessary? (For Me?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPanzerIV View Post
Ever since I have started working on computers, I have used Avast! Free Antivirus, and while my loadout of programs has changed over the years, my choice in antivirus has not.

On my older systems, I've been searching for lighter versions of programs to run, as newer ones continue to bloat and use more memory and ram. Avast!, which used to use about 70-100mb of ram IIRC (back in 2011), but now pushes resource usage in Windows 7 up by about 300mb.

Bloat isn't the only nitpick I've got with Avast! and other antivirus programs. I use my antivirus as antivirus, and just that. I use Ccleaner Lite to clean my files, and openvpn as a vpn, why should I have to uncheck boxes to not install Avast!'s paid versions of these whenever I set up a system? Not only that, but Avast! won't scan for PuP's unless you set it up to do so. It also won't update itself unless you set it up to do so(program version only, definitions DO update themselves). Avast! Free edition also comes with its own ads now too, including periodical bragging about all the good its doing your system.

In recent years, my loadout of programs has expanded to include Malwarebytes Free edition and Spybot Search & Destroy because I have found that Avast! doesn't quite catch anything. In fact, according to the last two years of Avast! logs on my older systems (except for one without Spybot S&D, which Avast! did stop a virus on), Avast! has stopped nothing. I have never been in a situation in which Avast! has proven useful in preventing or removing viruses.

To test this, I reloaded my main laptop, which I use every day for class work and web browsing at school, coffee shops, and at home, with just Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes. I am five months in, every weekend I update and scan with both programs, and the whole experiment has gone off without a hitch.

I'm not saying that antivirus is unnecessary for everyone, I pray to the gods of security and privacy eight times a day to keep my computer as clean as possible, but if Avast! isn't really necessary and removing it gives my old systems usable life back, then whats the point in having it?
I never used any software then Defender that comes with Win OPS and had no big issues,

frank55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:26 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Windows Defender is surprisingly good at blocking a lot in the background!

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:13 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

I agree that Avast have become a little too smug over the years, but because most viruses are programmed to attack windows, i wouldn't run the system without a proper AV. If you really have a problem with avast's resource needs, you might need some more RAM or go with a lighter alternative. Just as long as you are running a good enough AV.

Quote:
I pray to the gods of security and privacy eight times a day to keep my computer as clean as possible
^^ this.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:13 AM   #5
Solid State Member

I don't have any problems with AVAST! free. I do, however, disable the unneeded bloat when installing and updating it. No AV, no matter how good it is, will be able to stop every nasty that comes down the Information Highway so I also use MBAM Premium (I latched onto four licenses when they were still lifetime, they are now only annual), SAS (Super AntiSpyware), Spybot S&D, and Glary Utilities. I also use WOT (Web of Trust) to let me know if I'm about to go to a dodgy web site.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #6
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
If you really have a problem with avast's resource needs, you might need some more RAM or go with a lighter alternative. Just as long as you are running a good enough AV.
That would appear to be another issue. Avast! is the only AV I have ever used because every time I do research for something better, Avast! comes up as the most effective and lightest solution available. I have heard that Nod32 is lighter and still very effective, but appears to be paid only. I've tried AVG, TrendMicro, Avira, and MSE(now unsupported) for extended periods of time and am dissatisfied with each of them.
aPanzerIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

I have been an avast user for about 8 years. Never had issues with it taking up resources ether.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:00 PM   #8
Wizard of Wires

WOT is a joke...
I'm using AVG on the office machines but use ESET Security Suite 8 on my personal rigs and laptops. SS8 is lite weight and uses very little resources. I've never been hit using that and NOD32.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:28 AM   #9
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
WOT is a joke...
I'm using AVG on the office machines but use ESET Security Suite 8 on my personal rigs and laptops. SS8 is lite weight and uses very little resources. I've never been hit using that and NOD32.
Why do you feel WOT is a joke? I've been quite happy with it.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:51 AM   #10
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Why do you feel WOT is a joke? I've been quite happy with it.
??????????