Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-09-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default Antivirus

Well I a cant make up my mind on an antivirus. Its either norton, antiVir, or nod32. Its for a new build and I would rather have a AV installed before i start going on the internet to download stuff. And norton is probably the only one between those 3 u can get on a disc? So which would u go with? Which do you think has the highest detection rate?

EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:06 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to uid=[0]
Default Re: Antivirus

as with all antivirus, they are only as good as the company behind them. alot of them are pretty much equal, however there are lots of opinions on this subject.

Wireless Network Security Spec.
uid=[0] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

yep well i was going to get the zone labs security suite, but I do not know much about their antispyware so im getting the zone alarm pro instead which does not include antivirus.. but i have heard norton is an extreme resource hog, and i have used nod 32 and antivir before, well trials. nod 32 i didnt have for long but it seemed a bit complicated, and antiVir was good for a free antivirus. but i have never used norton.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

antivirus= avgfree edition and bitdefender free edition free anti virus tool

spyware=disspy spybot search and destroy

firewall= windows
Old 05-09-2006, 09:24 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to pctechmike Send a message via MSN to pctechmike

Bit defender is a good antivirus program, but it doesn't have a resident scanner like Avast! I would stay clear of Norton- the only product I recommend from Symantec is Ghost to image hard drives. I've seen the antivirus cause more problems than it can solve. I have been using Avast for over 2 years now- can't complain, virus free.
pctechmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

How about nod32? I may go with that... but the problem is... its only a downloadable version i think... and its for a new build and id like some antivirus before i connect to the net... kuz cant viruses come through when u plug the internet cable in without like antivirus? or i could just get avg free and burn the installation file onto a cd and then load that... then remove it right when i download nod32.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:06 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

is there any particular reason you're not considering mcafee anti-virus? I've been using it for years, and never had a problem.
Antec 300 Case, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L, PNY 4GB PC6400 800MHz DDR2 RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5550 1GB DDR3 Ram, 1TB Western Digital Black 7200 32MB cache, 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Antec Earthwatts 500 Watts
thebigdintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:43 PM   #8
Golden Master

My work's using Panda Titanium and had to redo their servers 4 times already. That is bad. You shouldn't even have to recover your servers.

The only bad thing about Norton is the stupid subscriptions every year. Ridiculous. Use to be free no matter how long you have it. But support is above and beyond. Their definitions are constantly being updated all the time.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:50 AM   #9
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to pctechmike Send a message via MSN to pctechmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM
How about nod32? I may go with that... but the problem is... its only a downloadable version i think... and its for a new build and id like some antivirus before i connect to the net... kuz cant viruses come through when u plug the internet cable in without like antivirus? or i could just get avg free and burn the installation file onto a cd and then load that... then remove it right when i download nod32.
I cannot say 100% that you will not get infected if you download your antivirus program, but it is highly unlikely. If you installed XP, with SP2, you should be fine. Download the program on the computer you have now, instead of "Open", choose "Save", and save the .exe file to a location, burn it to CD, or if you have a USB Jump Drive, put it on there. MOST viruses are spread through email attachments, and things you download. So, if you trust the site you are downloading this program from, you have very little to worry about. I've heard good things about nod32, just never have used it. Stay away from Norton- you'll thank me later....
pctechmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:04 AM   #10
Daemon Poster

pctechmike bitdefender is a antivirus tool not anti virus well at least the free edition is so it willNOT conflict with your anti-virus Highly recomened

second I went to test avast and it didn't work it messed up my computer don't know why