270 rootkits!!!!

fredstek

Baseband Member
Ok so i scan with avg 9 and it finds 270 rootkits. Nothing seems to get rid of them!!! I even erassed the hdd by writing 0 over the entire disk once. I then installed a fresh version of windows 7 ultimate. I install AVG and do the rootkit scan again and it found 259 rootkits??? So erasing the disk only got rid of 11 of them? The only thing i can think of is that when i plug in my 1.5tb external to install the avg9 they are coming on from that?

WHen you reinstalled 7, did you do the quick format or the regular? Odds are quick just wasn't good enough. If you did the full format, you might need to run something like dirk's boot and nuke.

Otherwise you can try getting an anti-virus with a more powerful anti-rootkit system. NOD32 should do you better here.

Well its actually a mac that i have partitioned. I used the mac ox 10 to erase the hdd. I then re partitioned the drive and installed fresh copies of both.

I am trying DBOD now.

Eradicating a rootkit once it entered your system is very difficult. So system administrators often don't dig out rootkits. There are several free and paid products available. Here are some I recommend...
F-Secure Blacklight is a rootkit detector that works by finding objects that are hidden from both users and security tools. BlackLight examines your system at a deep level and gives you the option to remove any nasty malware or rootkits that are detected.
Sophos Anti-Rootkit is an advanced rootkit detection program which can be operated from a friendly graphical interface or the command line.

ok this is cRazy. i now "think" i have a nasty keyboaRd viRus thats playing aRound with my keys making some of them capitals. i have also erased the disk and RefoRmatted again and installed and updated avg 9 to the lastest version.

the Rootkit scan which is still going has found 146 thousand thReats? they aRe pRetty much all the same file which is named

x86_xnacc.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.1.7600.16385_none_b381dfe1d4da7da9

by the time it took me to type that file name the thReat number is now up to 153k!!!!!

there must be some pRoblem with my bios? i have never messed aROund with a computer bios befoRe so i will pRobs need to leaRN a bit befoRe i do.

maybe you have 2 logical hard disks and clean only one and rootkits stays on the 2nd one?

Well its actually a mac that i have partitioned. I used the mac ox 10 to erase the hdd. I then re partitioned the drive and installed fresh copies of both.

I am trying DBOD now.

Are you re-installing on just that one partition or reformatting the entire drive and re-partitioning again?

Back
Top Bottom