Buying older machines (win xp, 98)

ton_geek

Solid State Member
Hi there,

Would anybody know or have any older desktops they don't use anymore? I'm looking for xp and 98 machines. I have older pc games I used to play that I don't have the desktops for anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Forums

I had 4 of them last year that I gave away. Check Craigslist or other classifieds in your area for older machines.

You'll probably want to find something local to avoid shipping costs.

i have one but it depends where you are, its a advent phenom x 3 beast :)

im in the uk.

I had 4 of them last year that I gave away. Check Craigslist or other classifieds in your area for older machines.

You'll probably want to find something local to avoid shipping costs.

I've been meaning to through my old PC's and see what I can fix and giveaway. Also check tipshop's, secondhand shops you'll be sure to find something old and cheap. At training college we do a clean out a lot and the amount of the old computers we strip down for parts and send off to e-waste is huge..

Last edited:
Is there any reason in particular that it needs to be an older machine? If you have an existing computer, you could run the applications in compatibility mode. This will allow you to set the application to run in the supported operating system. If that option doesn't work, you could also install a virtual operating system within your computer using VMWare Player. You'll need to obtain an ISO for the operating system(s) that you'd like to use, but that shouldn't be all that difficult.

Bahawolf brings up a good point. The reason I gave away the 4 old machines I had is because I run older OSes in VMs. I have VMs running old OSes such as DOS 6.22, WFWG 3.11, Win 95, Win 98SE, Win ME, Win 2000, Win XP and Win Vista.

Back
Top Bottom