A Beginners Guide to Search Engine Optimization

JCB1

Daemon Poster
This guide is an easy to understand beginners guide to search engine optimization. If you own a website you need to understand exactly what search engine optimization is and how to use it on your website.

Contents
Inrto - A Beginners Guide to Search Engine Optimization
Step 1 - Finding a Websites Best Performing Keywords
Step 2 - How To Do Effective SEO Keyword Research
Step 3 - How To Configure On Page SEO
Step 4 - Effective Off Page SEO Tutorial

Introduction : A Beginners Guide to Search Engine Optimization

Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the ranking of a website or a web page to appear higher in search engines in order to get more unpaid / natural traffic. There are many advantages in improving your SEO on your website, the biggest advantage is that you get more traffic / visitors for free to your site as they come from natural searches (For example when someone goes to google and types in a search).

There are 100's maybe 1000's of ways to optimise your website, I will only list in this guide what has worked for me. I have broken this guide down to 5 sections, I will briefly describe each section below. If you are looking for a quick fix to optimise your site and bring in more traffic you might want to skip to step 3. Step 1 and 2 show you how to rank for a keyword and how to do keyword research.

Step 1 - Finding a Websites Best Performing Keywords

I believe any website will have 3 targets, (Sales, Signups or Traffic) So it is important to understand which one your site is after so you can then decide which keywords to focus on. Below is a brief example of all 3 targets

Sales - Lets say I have an online shop selling dog leads. In order to optimise my site I need to find out which keywords are bring in traffic to my site and even more importantly which keywords are getting me sales and how well am I ranking for these keywords.

Signups - If I have a social networking site my target will be to get as many people to signup to the site as possible. So again I need to know which keywords are getting me signups and then focus on these keywords and possibly other simular keywords.

Traffic - Lets say I own a blog about "Microsoft Windows 7" my goal is to make the blog as popular as possible by getting as many visitors to the site as I can. So I need to find keywords that will bring me in traffic

To find out all the information you need about your keywords you will need to install google analytics on your site and then take a look at this guide Here

Step 2 - How To Do Effective SEO Keyword Research

There are many useful tools which can help you choose which keyword tool to use. In this guide I will show you how to use these tools.

Now we have an idea of which keywords we want to target we need to do a bit of research about these keywords. First we need to see how competative the keyword is, For example the keyword "Microsoft" will be very competitive and you are not likely to rank in the top 100 searches in search engines. So we need to find keywords with little competition.

The second thing we need to check is how many searches a month the keyword gets. We don't want to target a keyword that only gets 100 searches a month.

Step 3 - How To Configure On Page SEO

For me on page SEO is the most important thing you can do to make your website rank higher in search engines. If your pages are not optimised you could be losing out on a lot of traffic and losing out on customers. We need to make sure your urls are SEO friendly, and that the layout of your webpages are SEO Friendly.

Improving your websites metatags will mean that search engines index your website pages faster which will help if your website has 100s or 1000s of pages.

You will also need to optimise the title of the webpage and description and make sure it meets certains standards. If you have images on your webpage you will need to change the alt attributes.

For an on page SEO checklist check out

Step 4 - Effective Off Page SEO Tutorial

In theory the more links you have from other websites to your website the higher your website will rank in search engines, because search engines think your website is important. These links are called backlinks. You need to be careful about the back links you get as most backlinks are good but some can do more harm than good. Also some backlinks are rated as higher quality than others.

For example if my site was about dog leads the backlinks to my site will be higher quality if they were comming from another website about dog leads. If I got 1000 backlinks but they were all from websites that were related to food and drink the backlinks are of low quality.

Also the way the websites link to you is very important. If you want to rank high for the keyword "Dog Leads" your backlink on other websites must be displayed with the text "Dog Leads" with the url pointing to your site.

So how do we get back links?? Take a look at this tutorial for a few ideas

> Step 1 - Finding a Websites Best Performing Keywords

i think i this guide there is many more information about seo optimization i got many from this guide thank u JCB

Back
Top Bottom