How to Format a FAT32 Partition Larger Than 32GB

stuiedaman

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I'm going to show you how to format a FAT32 partition bigger than 32GB on a windows OS. Be cautious about formatting an entire hard drive FAT32 because FAT32 doesn't allow files over the size of 4GB. A reason to do this is almost every operating system accepts 32GB, including the PS3 which allows you to store movies, music, pictures on an external hard drive, but still have space for games.

Scroll down for video tutorial

First off, you are going to need to delete existing partitions that are on that hard drive. To do this, just right-click on computer, go to manage, and then disk management on the left hand side. Find your partitions in the top window or the drive itself in the bottom window. Delete each partition on the drive you are formatting by selecting and hitting the "Delete" key.
NOTE: DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING OFF YOUR HARD DRIVE FOR YOUR COMPUTER. THIS IS USUALLY LABELED C: OR D:
Close the disk management window.

You're going to need to download one of the following programs. Choose the program that suits your hard drive. If you don't know what your hard drive is, try the Seagate one, and if that does not work, try the Western Digital.

Maxtor or Seagate hard drive:
http://www.seagate.com/support/maxblast/MaxBlastSetup.en.exe
Western Digital hard drive:
WD Support / Downloads / My Book / My Book Studio Edition

My tutorial will be using the Seagate formatter but the Western Digital should not be much different.

When you open the program, it will analyze the current drives and find that there is an blank disc drive and ask if you want to format that drive. Choose yes. Keep kitting "next" until you have the option between NTFS, FAT32, or FAT16. Choose FAT32, of course. Hit next. Choose whether you want the drive to be primary or a logical drive. Either would be fine. I chose primary because, well, it was going to be the primary drive. Next. Then choose how much capacity you want the drive to have in the partition size box. Next. Give the drive a name of your choice. Then if you have any space left after, then you can go through the last paragraph formatting the drive however you want, with different partitions. When you have all the space on your hard drive filled with partitions, choose proceed and it will format your hard drive how you want it.

Then go to "My Computer" to check and make sure your drives are there. If you have any problems, you can download the other program or repeat the entire process. When I was trying to do this myself, it didn't detect the empty hard drive maybe one or two times but it eventually got it. Thanks for using my tutorial and please rate and subscribe in the following video:

VIDEO: YouTube - How to Format a FAT32 Partition Larger Than 32GB (HD)

Back
Top Bottom