How To Create A Password Protected Folder In Windows 7

JCB1

Daemon Poster
In this guide I will show you step by step a very easy way how to create a secure password protected folder in windows 7. You might want to store secret / private files in here that you don't want anyone else to access. The best thing about this guide is that you don't need any 3rd party software to do this.

Steps To : How To Create A Password Protected Folder In Windows 7

-Create a folder and give it any name you wish. Double click on the folder and then right click and select “New” > “Text Document” Now rename this file to password.bat and make sure the file extension is .bat and not .bat.txt. Now open the file and copy the below text and then paste it in to the file.

cls
@ECHO OFF
title Folder Private
if EXIST "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" goto UNLOCK
if NOT EXIST Private goto MDLOCKER
:CONFIRM
echo Are you sure you want to lock the folder(Y/N)
set/p "cho=>"
if %cho%==Y goto LOCK
if %cho%==y goto LOCK
if %cho%==n goto END
if %cho%==N goto END
echo Invalid choice.
goto CONFIRM
:LOCK
ren Private "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
attrib +h +s "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
echo Folder locked
goto End
:UNLOCK
echo Enter password to unlock folder
set/p "pass=>"
if NOT %pass%== ENTER YOUR PASSWORD HERE goto FAIL
attrib -h -s "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
ren "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" Private
echo Folder Unlocked successfully
goto End
:FAIL
echo Invalid password
goto end
:MDLOCKER
md Private
echo Private created successfully
goto End
:End
Now replace the text ENTER YOUR PASSWORD HERE with a password of your choice. Make sure you don't forget the password.

-Now double click on the password.bat file and this will create a Private folder. Now copy and paste the files you wish to keep private in to this private folder.

-When you have finished copying the files go back to the password.bat file and double click on it again. You will get prompted. “Are You Sure You Want To Lock The Folder Y/N” Type Y and hit enter. The folder will now disappear. I recommend moving the Password.bat file to someone else on your computer.

-If you want your folder to re-appear move the Password.bat file back in to the folder you created the folder in and double click on the Password.bat file, enter your password and hit enter, your folder will now re-apear.

Warning : How To Create A Password Protected Folder In Windows 7

This script is a very basic script to work out how it works and how to get around it. I would say 80% of IT trained staff will be able to hack this password protected folder, This is why I recommended to move the password.bat file after you have secured your folder.

would it not be easier just to use a USB stick. that way nothing is left on a hard drive?

When you have finished copying the files go back to the password.bat file and double click on it again. You will get prompted. “Are You Sure You Want To Lock The Folder Y/N” Type Y and hit enter. The folder will now disappear. I recommend moving the Password.bat file to someone else on your computer.

If you wanna be very careful do a password protected winrar. But thats a good script tho. Incase you got something you wanna hide from your computerly challenged wife lol

Back
Top Bottom