Go Back   Computer Forums > Articles | Tutorials | Tech Notes > Articles | Computer Hardware and Servers
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #21
Daemon Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to disturbed13
Default Re: GPU overclocking guide.

thanks
thats what i was hoping for

<iframe src="http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/getDynamicImage.do?memberName=disturbed13&mnOn=tru e&stat=1&imageNum=4&rankOn=false&projectsOn=false& special=false" frameborder="0" name="di" scrolling="no" width="125px" height="176px"></iframe>
disturbed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:49 PM   #22
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by worshipme View Post
I will perhaps add a BIOS flashing guide and maybe some voltmods later on.
Please? I'd love to learn. I've heard of BIOS flashing tools for the cards, and higher grade Nvidia cards come with a voltage modifying tool but I'd love to learn about the technique you use for cards that cannot have the voltage easily modified.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #23
Daemon Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to disturbed13

i would love to read a BIOS flashing guide
for anything that can be flashed
and any mods would be awesome as well
<iframe src="http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/getDynamicImage.do?memberName=disturbed13&mnOn=tru e&stat=1&imageNum=4&rankOn=false&projectsOn=false& special=false" frameborder="0" name="di" scrolling="no" width="125px" height="176px"></iframe>
disturbed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:43 PM   #24
Fully Optimized

Great guide! +1 for sticky.

Grantofhell had just referred me to this guide and I have a few questions. I have the latest River Tuner and Firmark downloaded. When I check for stability using FurMark, what rez do I need to run it at? The rez that I play my games at? And does it have to be fullmode? You also sad do a 60 sec test when @ the Core and watch for artifacts, does the FurMark have a count somewhere of the artifacts if they do accrue? Or is this something that you yourself need to watching for when doing the 60 sec test? And last question, I always have my fan speed at 70% all the time, do I need to set it to manual wile I'm @?

Thanks
- 120GB Crucial C300 SSD & 3X WD640AAKS HDD
- Dell 24" 2408WFP & 2407WFP-HC Monitor
Zer0Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #25
Fully Optimized

Set it to your monitor's res. As for your second question, ATi Tool has a artifact finder. I would not suggest doing ANY sort of overclocking on an Nvidia card with ATi Tool.

EDIT: When is a mod going to sticky this? Or at least add it to the guide section.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #26
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantofhell View Post
Set it to your monitor's res. As for your second question, ATi Tool has a artifact finder. I would not suggest doing ANY sort of overclocking on an Nvidia card with ATi Tool.

EDIT: When is a mod going to sticky this? Or at least add it to the guide section.
Well I'm in the process of @ right now, so far its 743 core stable from default 675. I'm doing my best to try and watch out for any type of artifacts because as I mentioned before I don’t think FurMark has an artifact finder count system. How wil the artifacts look like anyways? And I'm doing 1920x1200 Fullscreen tests. After about 60 sec of tests my Vid card temp goes to about 90c+ from idel 50c.

Even if I wanted to I cant use ATI Tool for @ since it only allows me to scan for artifacts, something about Kernel Mode Driver Error... I’m going to wait for worshipme to give his opinion about if I should use the ATI tool or not. Thanks Grantofhell

In regards to the manual vs direct control of a vid card fan. Since I always have it at 65% would it be logical for me to use it via direct control as well I overclock test?
- 120GB Crucial C300 SSD & 3X WD640AAKS HDD
- Dell 24" 2408WFP & 2407WFP-HC Monitor
Zer0Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #27
Golden Master

I will get round to adding the BIOS flashing and Vmod section at some point but I'm going to finish updating the new build thread first, I've already done the first half.

As for the artifacts, you will know them when you see them. Sometimes they will just be an improperly rendered pixel, like a yellow spot. Other times there will be weird shapes all over your screen. Furmark will most likely crash before it displays artifacts though, so you don't need to look for them.

You can use ATi tool with an Nvidia card if you want. You can use the artifact scanner with any card.

Quote:
In regards to the manual vs direct control of a vid card fan. Since I always have it at 65% would it be logical for me to use it via direct control as well I overclock test?
I always adjust the fan settings through a BIOS flash. I promise I'll get round to that section...

EDIT.
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:04 AM   #28
Beta Member

MSI Afterburner is also useful for overclocking a graphic card. It's easy to use and above all, it works with all cards.
dvijaydev46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #29
Solid State Member

Is there another 60 second stress tester I can use instead of Furmark? It only recognizes my crappy integrated GPU. I just need a way of knowing my GPU is stable at the selected clock frequency. And @dvijaydev46, MSI Afterburner is awesome for adjusting the GPU settings.

Also this should definitely be stickied.
ZRTMWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #30
Solid State Member

Oh wait, once I click burn in/ benchmark it switched over to my main GPU. What do you mean by artifacts? I can run FurMark but its only 9 or 10 frames a second @ 1920x1080.

ZRTMWA is offline   Reply With Quote