Random Chit Chat

I wouldn't have practically figured that out, being in this side of the world and this part of the country where ice is always synthetic. I also never read about it until now. I guess where I live I can just replace them with anything else to hold the coolant in.

We may call them freeze plugs but they don't always work. We have the expander plugs to replace them.

Celery, Not sure if i would use expander plugs where he is. It gets really hot there. a/c heats it just that more. I would go with steel or stainless steel.

Are you guys talking about those rubber plugs with a bolt in the center that gets tightened to make the seal? I've never used them personally. I thought they were basically used for a temporary, quick fix until an actual seal could be installed.

Strollin, that what we were talking about. I kept a few just for emergency. The heavy equipment or the ones who owned older junk would have a unit that they would add water and maybe a bit of anti-freeze in it. Popped freeze plugs all the time. Sometimes crack the block. I would use those as a band aid to get it running if the unit was intact. Sometimes the plugs would seep and i would find one rusted out so i would dump fluid and put a rubber plug till one of us could replace it with a metal one. I had metal ones but half the time it seemed that it would be one i didn't have. Enter rubber plug.

We may call them freeze plugs but they don't always work. We have the expander plugs to replace them.

How many of these things are you breaking that you "just carry" spares? they should be pretty firmly set in the engine!!

Back
Top Bottom