Amazon Basics motor oil

Celery

Golden Master
I saw an interesting YouTube clip by Scotty Kilmer about this motor oil. He is a well known mechanic and as a retired mechanic myself I can say he knows his stuff and quite honest (a rare breed indeed).

He compared it to Redline motor oil which was considered one of a top shelf product. Reading off the specs and certificates from the bottle he showed that it's better than Redline.

As an Amazon Prime member I got a 5 quart jug of AB full synthetic 5W-20 for my Taurus ($19 love it) and free shipping. I'll get it Wed and my part will come in today (Cam Position Sensor Unit) so they'll be both installed together.

:dance:

By the way, I mentioned that I ordered the part for $60 from AutoZone. The members at Taurus Club forum said no no not this brand! You'll have real problem if you put this in!

Ok so I cancelled the order and found a better deal on Amazon. Yep, Amazon carry auto parts. I found a better brand and only $35. I'll get it today.

Last edited:
I saw an interesting YouTube clip by Scotty Kilmer about this motor oil. He is a well known mechanic and as a retired mechanic myself I can say he knows his stuff and quite honest (a rare breed indeed).
Isn't he well known for using click bait titles, and having the comments below full of people saying he is wrong!

As for brand of oil, if it meets the specifications the manufacturer say (sae grade, weight and sometimes C rating for low ash etc) then the price doesn't matter!

I saw another video about the oil guy who did the chemical breakdown. He said it's good oil but only for 3000 miles. He won't trust it for more than that.

That's fine with me as it'll take me a year or better to cover 3000 miles.

Not sure if I can trust a 3000 mile full synth oil to start with. Even modern conventional/mineral oil can do that.

I say better safe than sorry. Consider Motorcraft oils.

I see. I always thought the molecules of synth oil is what keeps it from deteriorating by nature first hand, not the additives.

Learn something new every day, I guess.

The synthetic oil is oil nevertheless and the additives are what maintain the engine.

You can see the clip right?

Back
Top Bottom