Random Chit Chat

So, I got my new hard drive in the mail today, Thats a ssd and i must say that it is a super fast drive. I thought the raptor drives was fast! I have been loading programs as fast as my dvd drive can play. On line its was even faster. I am not sure but that ssd is so fast the hard drive light won't flicker. Can't tell when the drive is working or not. All i know is it is lightning fast. Maybe i can get windows 10 to play nice now. It sure is fast to load and run.

Welcome to the 21st century. :D

Yeah, an SSD spoils you really quick. I have my wife's computer, her mom's computer, and obviously mine all running on SSD drives. Mine is actually using a Samsung 970 Evo M.s as the OS drive. It is a type of SSD but has a faster transfer/throughput speed.

Can or should ssd drives be defraged?
They shouldn't. Seeing how flash memory wears when you erase data, defragmenting makes no sense. SSDs can be "trimmed" though.

Also, given how most modern SSDs have wear-leveling, there isn't a correlation between the location of the file in the filesystem and the actual block that it occupies on the drive, so defragmenting is impossible.

ok, thanks fellow, This is my first sdd and wasn't sure. I didn't want to screw it up. Thanks again!!
No problem. No way to screw up anyways. Windows won't even give you the option to defragment, only trim.

One thing to keep in mind, if someday you want to securely erase your drive, you should look for the options that the manufacturer provides. This usually means some sort of "flushing" function where your drive simply releases all the electrical charges it holds and the information is gone. Overwriting SSDs is pointless and wasteful.

Well, I went and got 4 sticks of ddr2 1066mhz ram Also bought a AMD Phenom II X4 940 3GHz Quad-Core. Time to wake this puppy up! Thats a Black edition and unlocked as well. Seen vids where they push it up to 3.5ghz. I don't think i will be doing that. Now its the snail mail for me..

Back
Top Bottom