Power Supply's

Rain1

Baseband Member
Hello Everyone,

Got an older machine I put together about nine years ago...

AMD phenom ll X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2GHz 8GB Ram
XFX Radeon RX4800 8GB Ram
700 watt psu

My son claims he's able to achieve a steady 60 fps playing Fortnite on the machine above.

Meanwhile he acquires a used computer from a friend...

AMD A10 7800 upgraded to 16MB Ram
Radeon RX 4600 2GB Ram
300 watt psu

So I tell him he can have my 4800 since I don't game anyway, and I'll stick the 4600 in my box. Only problem is the 300 watt psu in the A10 doesn't have the power cable hookup the 4800 requires. So I take it to my computer guy and he installs a 500 watt psu with the proper hookup for the bigger card. And he tells me the A10 system with the RX 4800 should perform a little better than what he was doing with my system. Not a lot better, just a little.

Well my son plays for a couple hours and tells me he was doing much better on my system(60 fps). The best he says he can do on the A10 is about 35 fps with settings turned down. Everyone tells me my old Phenom 6 core processor is old and outdated. So I'm wondering, is the 500 watt psu I had installed in the A10 enough power? Thanks

Jeff

I don't think all that information was needed to ask if 500W is enough for the computer.

Anyways, while I haven't looked at the specs, 500W should be more than enough. Try finding the TDPs and post them here if you want to be sure. That system shouldn't use more than 300 or 350W, unless you have like 5 drives and 50 fans.

Well, I assure you AMD it took longer to type it out then it did for you to read it, yet somehow this is an imposition to you. Ok, just seems like every time I go into one of these pc forums I always hear... we need more info!! I guess somewhere in there is a happy medium. Whatever.

Thanks

Well, I assure you AMD it took longer to type it out then it did for you to read it, yet somehow this is an imposition to you. Ok, just seems like every time I go into one of these pc forums I always hear... we need more info!! I guess somewhere in there is a happy medium. Whatever.

Thanks

Exactly, it takes a long time to type and a long time to read, and it adds no important information. All we need to determine if your PSU is powerful enough are your system specs. The rest is just noise.

I'm only saying it because you'll get more responses if you are direct and your posts are easy to read.

Ok AMD I get it. At first your remark sounded a little snarky but then I thought about it and your right. I can get too wordy sometimes. Sorry, and thanks for the advice on my system. I'm pretty sure now the 500 watt psu is adequate. By the way, TDP's...what are those?

TDP is thermal design power. Initially it was meant to represent how much power your component could generate before the cooling system failed. Nowadays it's the maximum power your component will draw from the power source. If your processor has a 125W TDP and your card 220W TDP the maximum power draw you will see from those components together is 335W.

I think Intel doesn't use the TDP like that anymore, only AMD. Either way, the maximum power consumption of a component is very easy to find online.

AMD_bro is at it again :p

Ah, please forgive my rudeness (or maybe English misunderstanding for being a foreigner), I need some clarifications.

You mean RX 460 and 480, right?

If yes, and to add to the PSU adequacy discussion, the RX 480 requires a good quality 500W PSU as a minimum. Some say 450W but you already have 500W so let's keep it at this. By good quality I mean the rating and amperage. Continuous PSU 30amps and some say 34amps is the minimum for this card. If those are met and nothing else is on the way, you should be fine and things should run fine. Make sure the PSU is a good brand. Providing the brand and model of the PSU could help here.

Is the monitor/TV connected to the RX 480 directly.

The A10 CPU is actually an APU. It has a built-in GPU. First thing to do is make sure it's disabled in the BIOS if possible and that the monitor/TV is connected to the RX 480 video card, not the port on the motherboard.

One more thing, RX 480 is a much better performer than RX 460 if both are used at their fullest. If speed is fixed at 60FPS in a game that can get it on both cards, potential can be not be felt, tho.

Thanks for the input guys. Yes the card we have is an RX 480. I always thought that adding a video card to a board with integrated graphics automatically disabled the on-board. That's definitely something I'm going to look at. Why have something you're not even using utilizing resources.

If the monitor/TV is connected to the RX 480 all of the above should not matter in the first place. I don't know how different hardware act so to be on the safe side I suggested so. Also see if there's an option to choose the Primary Graphics or similar and make it PCIe instead of On Board or similar. At least with the mobo GPU disabled if the monitor/TV is connected to the motherboard, nothing would show up which helps realizing it's not the right port to use.

Also, there were some techniques to mix the on-board GPU with the dedicated GPU in an attempt to get better performance in older hardware. Failed technologies and often gave worse performance. Maybe Windows is getting confused with the on-board GPU active.

Back
Top Bottom