Windows 10 clean install

I don't know specifically about that shop, but in my experience stores in the US are pretty liberal about returns and stuff. Try it, there's nothing to lose.

I'll give it go. I know when it comes to software some places won't refund, but since I never opened the package...we'll see. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated!:)

Would anyone care to weigh-in on the likelihood I can return the thumb drive to Fry's Electronics if I never opened the package? Thanks

In theory and they are a half decent shop that wants return customers then the answer should be yes but don't hold your breath. Bottom line ask Fry's.

Best way is to go to the site that Pete posted.

Download the ISO using the tool and then use Rufus to create a bootable drive with the ISO you just downloaded.

(I know the tool "can" create a bootable drive, but it has failed to me in the past, not without wasting precious hours, so I recommend you download it and then use Rufus.)

Note: you'll need another computer to do what I said above.

Note 2: I would recommend that you reset BIOS settings to default in case the previous owner changed something you don't want changed.

Hello AMD_man,

One question after downloading the ISO do I need to create the bootable thumb dive first then put the ISO to it, or can I use Rufus with the ISO already on the thumb drive? Thanks

Hello AMD_man,

One question after downloading the ISO do I need to create the bootable thumb dive first then put the ISO to it, or can I use Rufus with the ISO already on the thumb drive? Thanks
Neither. Just launch Rufus, connect the drive, select the drive you just connected, then click on "Select" and go to the ISO, select it and start the process. Pay attention to the warnings please.

Hello AMD,

Well my son got impatient and I was really curious if Windows was going to activate without have to use the thumb drive I purchased...So not being sure about the procedure with Rufus last night, I just went ahead and did it all using the Microsoft tool. I was pleasantly surprised how fast everything went. Had no error messages, no blue screen, and the topper was Windows did indeed activate with no issues.

The only issue was the usb ports on the front of the case didn't work. At first I thought the tool didn't correctly format the drive (like you said it might not), but soon realized the ports were simply dead. As soon as I plugged the drive into a port in the back I was off to the races! Went to Activation in Settings just to make sure, and all was well. If I get into this situation in the future it's good to know I have a backup option with Rufus if the MS tool screws up.

Thank you and Pete for all your help, I would have been stumbling blind through this without it!

Happy New Year:) Jeff

Back
Top Bottom