Intel vs. AMD CPU's: practical reliability and life span.

Smart_Guy

Fully Optimized
Greetings!

So, in the old days I heard that AMD CPU's didn't take heat and banging as much as Intel CPU's did. That was in the past, how's it now?

This of course does not mean AMD CPU's can't take a beating per se (if this is how the expression works).

Any of you have long-time experiences with AMD CPU's to change that? Preferably with heavy use, stress running and overclocking.

I personally have/had some with Intel CPU's. Some of them are +10 years old now and still working fine. My main PC has a 7 year-old and overclocked for 2 years now and from the looks of it I'll keep using it for years to come (i5 3570k OC'ed to 4.4GHz), God-willing.

I know ~10 years is not good to judge, but that's what I have to share.

Have at ya!

I've been using AMD since ~2003 or so, all the way back to a socket A 2000+. I have never had any problems with thermals or overclocking but I will readily admit that I haven't been heavy into overclocking.

During the P4 era it was Intel that put out the space heaters. The current crop are much better heat-wise that the "good old days".

AMD tends to be a little more heavy handed with wattage than Intel but the heat output is about the same as Intel's. The days of comparing clock speeds are way gone. You can check benchmarks to get an idea of theoretical performance but synthetics are not always comparable with real world results.

For me, you go with what your budget can afford. I am current running a R5 1600. it has six cores, 12 threads and runs like a champ. It would have cost me almost double to get the same from Intel.

I'll agree that Ryzen CPUs gives you great bang for the buck but for me Intel is always better.

I'm running the R5-2600 and it kick butt but I have random freezes. It happening less often now that I found a couple of settings in the BIOS to change. Since the second change a few days ago no freezes.

So far so good.

My i5-3570 system is still solid from the get go. :cool:

That's cool. I'm still looking for the right answer, tho.

Any of you banged enough AMD CPU's, single ones, to get an impression on their reliability? Heavy overclocking, getting high temps, heavy stress tests and/or heavy usage, etc.? Any of those is good, not necessarily all of them. I'm looking for at least some +7 years or banging with 2 of them with heavy overclock. This is what my current i5 3570K @4.4Ghz. Those +7 years have to be on the same CPU, not split on several CPU's, otherwise what's the point.

Anything can live for like theoretically forever if used normally, this I know. When I mis-overclocked my i5 750 the mobo burned instead. The CPU is still on my side build slightly overclocked running last gen. games on 720p with a GTX 480. I'm talking banging here, not normal use.

Last edited:
I never OCed my i5-3570 but my Gigabyte B75 Mobo died after 6 years. Right now my i5 resides on the Asrock Mobo where it replaced my i3-2105.

Intel CPU's had already proven themselves for me. Any AMD experience?

The mobo on my main PC is Asrock too; the one with the OC to 4.4Ghz.

Right now I can't decide if I'll ever move to AMD since my plan is to use it heavily and overclock it when it shows its age, like the case with my current i5. AMD is cheaper per performance weight but not living as long as Intel's as per my kind of use kinda beats the purpose of saving don't ya think?

I've had this 1600 for less than a year but it has been solid. The 8320 I had before this one ran for years with no problems and my nephew is using it now. Before that I ran a S939 4200+ dual core for a few years. That was an upgrade from a s939 3200+ single core, which I used for a couple of years and still have in a drawer here in my office. The old socket A 2000+ was used for seven years running 24/7 without issues.

I did OC the 4200+ a bit, as well as the 8320, but I never really thought that the return was big enough to keep it on all the time. Nowadays overclocking is basically pointless as the CPUs are already faster than what the programs can utilize. I have overclocked my 1600 for the hell of it and it was stable, but again I don't see the point for every day use.

My old AMDs had been solid too. My first Ryzen, the R3-2200G ran hot when I was encoding DVDs that I had to raise the alarm to 80c. Other than that, it was a breeze.

Now my R5-2600 had been encoding DVDs with the alarm set at 70c for quite a while. The highest it got was 63c. Now lately I had to set the alarm at 80c as it started buzzing like crazy.

Sometime next year I'll get a heavy heatsink/fan for it but I'm almost done with encoding DVDs. Then there's no heat problems.

Back
Top Bottom