Computers can be weird

Doubt it. My BIOS is v23 and the CPU requires at least v21. Even the article says CPU firmware.

Yet a Windows update solved it, not a firmware flash. I'm still not sure if Windows update flashed the CPU. Maybe the update history can tell us?

But anyway, I mean the flashing target; i.e. if the firmware is flashed into the BIOS even tho it's called CPU firmware. I'm not aware that CPU's have ROM in them to accept a firmware.

Learn something new everyday, I guess. I'm off to look it up. Don't mind me, really.

I'm just as curious myself. Remember that Dan learned that the Ryzen CPUs won't work with Win 7 and older. Maybe they can't write to CPUs.

Ryzens and some Intels probably are flashable by Win10. Changes my friend changes.

Yo SG I have an idea what it is. Windows configured itself to work with the firmware found on this CPU so the Update provided the data needed.

After all I swapped the CPUs and just ran it without any configurations. I went from 4c4t to 6c12t.

If it's like Intel, then that means it's overclockable thru an unlocked function. In Intel's case it's a bus speed multiplier. Locked and unlocked CPU's of the same tier typically have the same specs at stock speeds but the former is cheaper. Locked CPU's are the right choice for non-overclockers and shorter life span builds.

Shorter life span "builds", not CPU's or users. You make me sound like I doom users by their CPU's :p

As in having the juice to hold its own.

I overclocked my CPU to 4.4Ghz that runs on all cores and gave it a couple more years of performance. That's +800Mhz over the boost clock of 3.8Ghz that doesn't even run all the time (all four cores boost is 3.6Ghz).

I remember when I ran my i5-3570 at 3.8 Ghz at all times. A little tweak all it take.

Back
Top Bottom