Hey strollin...

I asked about memory usage and then I said that I'll get a 4 gig to add to my 8 gig memory to have more memory. I did this because I'm ripping DVDs while I'm browsing on the net, playing video and music. Also I had multiple tabs open for references.

They started telling me about interleaving and performance hits if I don't match sizes and I told them it's ok. It's not a big deal and I won't lose much. They wanted to argue that point. I told them I'm not hurting for performance and their idea of performance vs my idea of performance clashed.

I got tired of this one asshole who wants to be the loudest and started putting me down so I told him what he can do to himself. He says he's butthurt by what I said and I said really? Blow me.

It seems that way but don't forget caching. More memory means more caching and it worked. Things went better because of more memory.

Didn't make a whole lotta difference but it's there. There's even articles online on how more memory is beneficial.

All that's left is to tweak Windows to take advantage of the memory. Buffers, ram disks, pagefiles, etc.

I read the thread. They are right in saying that mixing memory sticks can disable some features (maybe cause problems). However, the performance hit (if there is one) will depend on the workload. You could've saved yourself the risk and saved more money for another similar 8GB stick.

It's been a while since I've done any serious hardware research though.

I tried a ramdisk some time ago. I tried using it for the temp folder. It didn't change much because the folder is small and seek times in SSDs aren't a problem. If you have software that can sync changes to disk, you could maybe put some other things in the ramdisk. However, it would take some time to sync the changes back and forth between memory and storage every time you boot up or power off the computer. I've never tried it and I wouldn't really know what to use it for. Maybe the AppData folder?

Extra: I must say I'm offended that you went to them for help instead of us!

Edit: Sorry for the double post. I thought they were going to combined.

I could but I got into a conflict and I'm glad it happened over there and not here. There's too few of us here to risk our friendships.

I don't have an SSD so there's my advantage to make it work with some tweaking. Buffers sizes makes a difference and getting the pagefile off the disk and put it on memory will speed thing considerably.

Believe it or not, I am getting dual flex but with 4x4 memory. The presence of a second module had upped the performance in an instant. The remaining 4 gig memory can be used for caching.

Oh by the way, some program benefits from single flex rather than dual flex. I haven't figured that out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom