My New Build

I've tried lots of different Linux distros over the years but have never found one I would prefer to use instead of Windows. Linux always seems clunky to me and although I can do things from the command line (I started my career as a software engineer programming on mainframe computers), I prefer not to.

I run the Raspbian OS (a light weight version of Debian) on my Raspberry Pi hobbyist computers but if I could ditch it for Windows I probably would. Being a Linux derivative means that much of what you want to do on it requires the command line. Unfortunately, for the time being, Windows doesn't run on an ARM based processor but that is being worked on.

Did I mention that I'm running Kubuntu on the 32 gig SSD? Can't be done with Windows.

Windows does have its place and very useful but uses lots of memory.

I wouldn't want to do it but there are tablets available that ship with Windows 10 and a mere 32GB of storage. I used to have a tablet that came with 64GB which worked well. There was another model with 32GB and I saw people on forums constantly looking for a way to increase that.

One way to run Win 10 on a machine with a 32GB SSD would be to just put the OS on it, then have a larger spinner for everything else. Not my preference but it would be workable.

Last edited:
If you have a 32GB SSD, you'd want to use it as cache. Otherwise, if you just put Windows in it, all you are gonna get are fast boot times and slow everything else.

SSDs really don't speedup everything anyway. Putting the OS on an SSD speeds boot times and responsiveness of the system. An SSD doesn't do much for other software other than improve load times, unless that software is very disk intensive.

Just saw an ad for Fry's Electronics. They are selling a 60GB Patriot brand SSD for $19. I don't have a need at the moment but I'm tempted to pick up a couple at that price.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, for the time being, Windows doesn't run on an ARM based processor but that is being worked on.

i3's now come quad cores with performance better than older i5's. It even compares to later i5's like those of 6th and 7th gen. and I wonder if it's eve better than some older i7's due to the new architecture. i5's are now hexa-core. This means it has 6 cores, by the way.

Back
Top Bottom