Computer upgrade

Just bought a PNY 500GB SSD.

Will install it today.

Then I'll put Windows 10 home on it.

Maybe next paycheck I'll have enough to buy the license.

After that it's buying the RAM, processor and video card.

Then I'll need a 32" HDTV.

I'm debating on using the nearly 12 year old SONY LCD monitor I have or buying a smaller HDTV for the third monitor.

I'm thinking thinking either slowing the stock case fans down or buying new case fans that blow more and are quieter then slowing them down some.

This is how I got my legit Win10.

Windows 10 Pro Retail (key only) - $20.99

Windows 10 Home Retail (key only) - $15.99

Use this to download the correct ISO directly from Microsoft

If you used it in another device, you can fix it by going back in time and not using it.

If you made significant hardware changes (like motherboard or hard drive) Windows considers it's another computer and thus you have to buy a new key, or maybe contact MS and see what they have to say about it.

If you didn't use it, you should contact MS to receive help or google the error code.

I didn't use the key that I know of.

I did buy it on another computer if that has anything to do with it.

Bought from that linked site.

If you never used the key, then there is a chance you got scammed.

Try contacting MS.

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Also, are you sure the key matches the installed version of Windows?

I'll contact the site first see if they made a mistake.

Don't know if it does.

Is it something I have to check on the computer I'm putting 10 on?

As in should I have made the purchase on that computer?

Also I ran Crucial's memory scanner tool and it couldn't find compatible memory for that computer so I'll have to look it up manually.

Also I've tried searching the RAM and saw nothing by the major brands I know. My preference is to use a brand name such as Crucial, Micron, PNY and other well known RAM manufacturers.

Last edited:
I'm lost... Do you have the Windows 10 you want to activate already installed in a working computer?

About the other stuff; let's say you installed Windows 10 Pro, you need to buy a license for Windows 10 Pro, not Home. If you don't do that it won't work.

If you can't activate Windows, try to see if you get an error code and find out what it means.

I have Windows 10 home installed already.

The support from the website i bought the key from wants me to take a few screenshots of me entering the code and any error messages so they can see if they gave me a bad code.

Also want me to try activation over the phone.

Now could it be possible that the key was from a defunct laptop or PC running Windows 10 or maybe some other thing where I would need to do it over the phone?

Last edited:
The error is that the key has been used on another computer.

Error code 0xC004C088

You might see this error if the product key has already been used on another PC, or it's being used on more PCs than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow. To fix the problem, buy a product key for each one of your PCs to activate Windows on them.

If you're using Windows 10, you can buy Windows from the Microsoft Store:

Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Activation .
Select Go to Microsoft Store, then follow the instructions to buy Windows 10.
Note
If you don't see Go to Microsoft Store on the Activation page, contact your organization's support person.

If you made a substantial hardware changes to your device (such as replacing the motherboard) and you have a valid product key, try to activate Windows by phone. Type SLUI 04 in the search box on the taskbar, select SLUI 04, and then follow the instructions on the screen to activate Windows. For more info about reactivating Windows 10 (Version 1607 or later) after a hardware change, see Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change.

If you're running Windows 10 Pro EDU or Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, you must activate Windows over the Internet—phone activation and SLUI 04 can't be used. Learn more

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom