Computer upgrade

Saw that, but can't do it until I get the hard drive and OS installed.

I can get a PCI-E X16 extension like what I have for the PCI and PCI-E X4 slots.

Those two graphics cards listed will work as the specs say they require a minimum 300 watt power supply which is what I have. I might mess around and see if it is possible to install a fan near the supply to force or pull more air through it than what the case fan near it does. That way the power supply is cooler.

As long as the PCIe is 2.0, there is no trouble.

Since the board was released on 2010, I guess it has at least PCIe 2.0.

So as long as the case can take it, you can get anything you want, as long as you have power.

You mentioned a 300W PSU. Is it a good one or something generic?

It's Sparkle Power.

The other PC like this I use at church seems to be holding up well and it has the same power supply. So I figure it is a good supply.

Plus when testing the other PC I didn't notice any RF interference.

Here's the manual for the supply.

http://www.sparklepower.com/pdf/SPI270LE.pdf

Noise Killer (thermal fan speed control function)

Don't like that, but I'm not digging in the supply to wire the fan to direct 12 volts.

Now If one of these will fit.

Welcome to SPI :::pC Power Supply, IPC Power Supply, Open Frame, Adapter, Inverter:::

It may be possible to upgrade the supply to a higher wattage which is what I would prefer to do if at all possible.

Would require modding the supply for the way the stock one is done which has the power jack on the computer chassis.

If you are going to buy a better PSU, focus on quality rather than raw power.

Efficiency is not really a big deal. Every quality unit has over 75%, so the 80+ certifications can be safely ignored.

Agreed.

I'll first try the stock power supply since it seems to work so well for the other computer unless adding two more cores, more RAM and a video card will be too much for the current one.

I won't be able to take those size measurements until later tonight, but soon as I take them I'll post them.

I'm seriously tempted to ditch the Dell Inspiron 1521 laptop I have with 4 gigs RAM, SSD and Windows 10 home once I get this one going, but either earlier this year or late last year I bought a new LCD and the case with hinges the LCD mounts in so I kind of want to keep it going just for that reason alone.

Perhaps I can use the Dell for audio processing or streaming audio and use this PC for everything else.

Would there be any harm in swapping the hard drive from the Dell to this computer or is it a simple matter of reactivation and installing the correct drivers?

Or

would it be best to wait until I've got at least the hard drive and install a fresh copy of Windows 10?

Last edited:
You should always reinstall Windows when using a new motherboard. Some features are enabled during activation and cannot be enabled or disabled later. The hardware timer is one of those things.

So yeah, backup, swap the drives/wipe, wipe/swap the drives, reinstall Windows, install drivers.

While I wait for my other post to be posted since it has a link.

Will either of those cards fit the short PCI-E slot or they for the longer PCI-E slot?

The adapters I have are for the standard PCI slot and the short PCI-E slot.

If one of those video cards will fit I'll have to mod the rear of the computer case so all of those connectors on the video card are accessible.

I could then run up to four external monitors if so desired.

I could do two VGA monitors a HDTV then with a DVI to HDMI adapter I could run a second HDTV.

Why would I do that?

Because I can :D

In all reality though I more than likely will not do that.

Might be too late/already answered, but the gpus can be bought in a form factor that will fit the large one or the small one. but if you're motherboard only has pcie 1.0, and NOT 2.0, i'd go with the long pcie port (x16)

I'll wait for the new drive and install a fresh copy.

Another poster said that since it came out in 2010 it possibly has PCI-E version 2.0.

Got the new fans in today. Got them installed and in BIOS the CPU temp was 111F, but has dropped to 109F.

The other two heatsinks from my experience with the other one just like this one run a little warm.

With the fans on them they seem to run a bit cooler.

Will it make a performance improvement I don't know, but it will keep the chips cooler.

I will for sure have to slow down the case fans as they are a bit loud.

Am tempted to keep the originals as they use ball bearings, but would it be better to get a fan that blows more air and slow it down like I did the other computer so there's still a bit more air flow than with the original fans slowed down?

In this instance I would use a fixed resistor since I would prefer not to do it like the other PC since I never change the fan speed on the other one. Just have it set to where it is relatively quiet and blows decent air which for the fans I used in it is set so they spin around 2300 RPMs.

I had to use two one to two fan splitter cables to connect all three fans so I disconnected the yellow wire that goes the the plug the one splitter is in so that only the CPU fan registers the RPMs as if the other two fans stop the computer will still run just fine.

And of course the wrong size screws were sent with the fans, but it might be the manufacturer who did it since it was a package. Had four regular size fan screws which fit after enlarging the mounting holes on the metal cover the fan mounts to on the CPU heatsink. For the other two fans I just used whatever screws I had that fit.

CPU fan is at 4687 RPMs and the case fans are at 3629 RPMs.

Motherboard is capable of measuring two temperatures, but only the CPU temp is reading. The sys temp shows N/A.

Attachments

• 20180706_155442-800x600.jpg
    20180706_155442-800x600.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 6
Just bought a PNY 500GB SSD.

Will install it today.

Then I'll put Windows 10 home on it.

Maybe next paycheck I'll have enough to buy the license.

After that it's buying the RAM, processor and video card.

Then I'll need a 32" HDTV.

I'm debating on using the nearly 12 year old SONY LCD monitor I have or buying a smaller HDTV for the third monitor.

I'm thinking thinking either slowing the stock case fans down or buying new case fans that blow more and are quieter then slowing them down some.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom