Looking for an old video card driver

What I don't get is why older hardware would be better for retro gaming. Wirth Pentium 4s you would have support for 64-bit emulators and not with the older Pentiums.

And the solution for that is getting even older hardware, that can only run 32-bit software?
Your board is the one that needs the drivers, the processor has nothing to do with that.

And which Linux distro did you try that didn't work? Linux distributions will always be better for older computers than Windows.

Your missing the whole point of having a retro computer, why would you want to run a 64 bit emulator for :facepalm:

You said "Pentium 4 computers are not suited to run anything retro". You never said anything about having a retro computer.

Do you want a retro computer? Get an Intel 4004.

Do you want to run retro games? Get decent hardware, install the games and play them.

I have plenty of old computers including some BBC Micro computers.

Anyhow I've sorted the problem with the Pentium 4 computer... well its no longer a Pentium 4 its now a quad core :)

I went ahead and upgraded the motherboard and power supply and hard drive.

It didn't cost me much to do either as I used second hand parts.

The old PSU was only 160 watts and did get a little hot at times so that had to come out anyway and I've replaced it with a 350 watt power supply which cost me 7 pounds, then I replaced the motherboard for a second hand Quad Core motherboard bundle that has IDE and floppy connector built in so that I can still use the old drives on the computer and keeping the original look from the outside as its a nice retro looking case.

The secondhand motherboard was only 26 pounds and the hard drive I already had.

So all in all the upgrade cost 33 pounds.

New specs:
Intel Quad Core processor @ 2.50 GHz
RAM 4GB - soon to be 16GB
Hard Drive 500GB

I'm going to get a GPU for it as well at some point next week.

Back
Top Bottom