Random Chit Chat

You have a licence. It's just not a paid one. Is using CCleaner free a crime? I'm not tricking Microsoft. They can prevent me from using it at any moment with the push of a button.

Being open source is not a requirement for something to be free.
Not the same thing. CCleaner has free and paid versions that are clearly marked and promoted as such. MS does NOT have any free versions of Windows, their intention is that you BUY a license from them.

Using your logic, I could come to your house and take your car (or whatever other item of yours) for FREE. As long as you never caught me, I could use it forever without paying you a dime for it.

My guess is that it isn't worth MS's time to go after individuals that are stealing copies of Windows (which is why you can get away with it) but should they catch a large company using many copies of Windows in that manner, they could collect some very large punitive damages.

If Windows is free, why should MS even bother with Product Keys and the like?

Not the same thing. CCleaner has free and paid versions that are clearly marked and promoted as such. MS does NOT have any free versions of Windows, their intention is that you BUY a license from them.

You are just guessing because of how CCleaner advertises their product?

If we are going to guess, here it is: MS realized many people were using "hacked" versions of the OS, which was sort of a high risk-high reward situation; you are using shady software to obtain a $100 product for free, compromising your computer. This way Windows users will prefer to remain with the limited, but still usable free copy, instead of risking it and having the full version. This way they can permanently remember you that you don't have a paid license.

Using your logic, I could come to your house and take your car (or whatever other item of yours) for FREE. As long as you never caught me, I could use it forever without paying you a dime for it.

Wrong. Things work differently for the software market. Or maybe there is some free, Open-source alternative to my current car that I haven't heard of?

You can't compare 2 things that belong to different worlds.

My guess is that it isn't worth MS's time to go after individuals that are stealing copies of Windows (which is why you can get away with it) but should they catch a large company using many copies of Windows in that manner, they could collect some very large punitive damages.

Go after? It's not like they need to send archers and knights to catch you... They just include a little countdown (like in W7 and W8) and lock you out.

If Windows is free, why should MS even bother with Product Keys and the like?

And why would they include a magic button that let's you ignore them? That was not available in W8. You also need a key to download a Win7 image, and there is a 30 day trial. Why not include the trial period in W10?

I remember Windows XP Media Center Edition allowed skipping the serial for a three-day trial (or was it three zero?) then the OS is locked for good asking for a key.

But anyway, and for something more amazing, this old mobo in my other computer adds a permanent extra multiplayer this old i5 750 CPU overclocking it from 2.66Ghz to 2.8Ghz out of the box! That's a free upgrade to i5 760 performance. Turbo boost on those run with two-core tasks max only. More than that and it's stock speed. The CPU is aging very well. I tested Gears of War 4 on it yesterday (a DX12 only title) and the CPU bottlenecked at +70 FPS at 720p. More than enough.

Last edited:
Strollin, it's not like they're giving it away for free... Remember, it's got all sorts of tracking and ad-ware built in. Windows isn't the product anymore, you are! and amdman is right, they've been making it easier, not harder, to download it for free.

All that may be true, however, this is straight from the Windows EULA:

[FONT=&quot] License.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] The software is licensed, not sold. Under this agreement, we grant you the right to install and run one instance of the software on your device (the licensed device), for use by one person at a time, so long as you comply with all the terms of this agreement. Updating or upgrading from non-genuine software with software from Microsoft or authorized sources does not make your original version or the updated/upgraded version genuine, and in that situation, you do not have a license to use the software.[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom