Is there a way to creat RAID 0 externally?

HDD docking can still be used as internal connection. But anyway, mission aborted. RAID 0 is not protection reliable and one HDD is confirmed to be a nutjob. If it fails, all will be lost. Abort mission, ASAP. These HDD's are like 10 years old and were abused.

Just in case, and a reminder, it's a 7 year old side computer built/complemented with left overs I'm fooling with that works rather fine. Considering spending money on it in this part is stupid ;)

Yes, the idea was to speed them up. Other RAID's (than RAID 0 "zero"), as far as I know, don't concern speeding up, and/or require more than two drives.

But here's the thing: I found another HDD in my junk that's ~150MB/s sequential reading/writing fast (buying one was a stupid idea, see?). The two I wanted to RAID 0 (using RAID as a verb here) were ~80MB/s and one of them is acting up (other reading/writing methods scale similarly). Now I have two nicely working HDD's so case closed. If I RAID 0 them the faster will go down to the slower and ultimately end up with ~160MB/s. Not worth the trouble and the protection risk and what needs the speed is all stored in the ~150MB/s HDD. Windows already has it's own SSD. Speeds were tested with Crystal Disk Mark.

And BTW, it's all assembled and running now. The lag/freezing I had that pushed me to think RAID 0 is now completely gone. It was especially pronounced in Gex on PS1 emulator :D

Last edited:
Simply put.

1, no, at least not with USB docks
2, don't

you already covered point 2, as the data is stripped failure of one drive means loss of all data.

the reason you can't do it with USB docks is that the controller is the device that controlls the raid array.
if you setup an array with windows disk manager, that's great, but you don't move the array controller (windows) with the disk when you move them.

If you get an external device (like synology NAS) etc, then you have a box with a controller in it, and then when you connect it to another machine that controller IS taken with the drives.

So different controllers run even the same RAID level (zero in this case) differently that the setup does not work among one another. I didn't know that and thought RAID 0 can be done in software mode.

Well, good thing I aborted mission then. The comp is all set and ready now.

If you could plug in two drives to a USB 3.0 port through a two port docking station and if your objective was to increase performance, you would be hamstrung by the USB spec.

SATAII - 600MBps
USB 3.0 - 640MBps

So when you try to double the SATAII speed to 1200MBps by running two, you far exceed the USB spec.

Either way, I've never heard of doing it externally except in disk enclosure units designed to do so.

The USB3 limitation is not a problem really. I thought of using the docking just for the procedure of creating the RAID then move the HDD's to an internal setup on another computer.

But that's an obsolete information now as you said and known earlier.

Back
Top Bottom