Building an Android PC

I've never been a fan of emulators, a lot of the x86 Android based OS's I've tried never work either.

Those Android PC boxes look pretty good I might get one as there cheap.

Its so much fun designing and building your own.

I've been looking for an old 1980's beige mini computer case of some kind to put an Android board inside, Maybe I might find an old IBM mini case or something.

TBH, just get a raspberry pi,

a lot of the other all winner stuff is poorly supported.
My experiance of having a couple of boards with an Allwinner A10 and an A20 (dual and quad core Arm processors) was not a great one, the manufacturer (sunxi) port a version for their specific core, then then dump it.

a lot of the microboard customers are worse than phone manufacturers in this respect.

then the same chip (with onboard graphics) Mali400 had no drivers to speak of, certainly no accelerated drivers, and whilst HDMI works, the lack of drivers mean that you'll never use them in a STB situation with kodi etc, etc, etc

at the end of the day I now just have a small web server with one board, and a deeply unreliable Samba server with the other.

Emulators are really useful, but not really for why you think.
using a emulator like QEMU you can emulate the arm processor. - on a PC, with a faster processor. so what you end up with is a hugely resource packed VM that you can build and test ARM targeted software on. - without cross compiling - which is not always practical...

Why would you want an Android desktop?

Back
Top Bottom