Possible motherboard problem

SeanJ

Beta member
When I try to start my machine I get a Q-Code 53 alert on my motherboard. According to my research this means I have a memory failure of some kind. YouTube and Google searches provided three possible solutions; reset the bios settings using a jumper, replace the bios battery and replace the RAM memory.

I've tried each of these but I'm still getting the Q-Code 53 on the motherboard. This makes me think the problem is on the motherboard itself but I don't want to buy a new one until I've exhausted all other possibilities.

Is there anything else I could try before buying a new motherboard and rebuilding my machine?

Thanks for your time.

Can you boot into Windows? If you can you could try flashing a newer version of your BIOS or an older, working version. Also, some manufacturers provide means to flash BIOS that can't boot into Windows because of corruption.

How about contacting your manufacturer? Have you tried that?

I see you have done some research so I won't do it myself. I can tell you that it helps remembering what you did before the problem started. Maybe you changed some hardware or installed a program.

Thanks for your response. The problem began when my graphics card died. I replaced it but then got the Q-Code 53 issue when I tried to start-up. Unfortunately these Q-Codes are part of the motherboard's pre-boot checks so it never gets into Windows. So to date I've replaced the graphics card and the RAM. A new motherboard will cost a further £450 so that's why I want to be sure I've tried everything possible before I spend more money.

Thanks again.

If Google didn't help, you must contact customer support. Do you have another graphics card to test? Maybe on-board graphics? How did your previous card die?

Have you tried using just one stick of ram and booting with it in different slots? It could be a bad slot on the motherboard, or a bad stick of ram... Just press the clear CMOS button/switch inbetween tries.

What I'd do is take out the RAM and unplug everything from the motherboard just leaving the power supply plugged in. Set aside the RAM, and try with just one stick of Ram in each slot I'd also give the RAM slots a blast of compressed air, reinsert your RAM then see if your board posts to BIOS and start from there. if not check that your CPU is seated correctly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom