Debian taking forever to install

TheCollector

Baseband Member
Hi has anybody tried installing Debian? I thought I'd give Debian a try and install it to one of my many computers, its been nearly 2 hours and its still installing, I might pull the plug on it soon...

Did you use the netinstall image? If so, you should select a good mirror or it will be downloading forever. Of course this only applies in the last stage of the installation. In which part are you? The one after you are prompted to choose a mirror?

Did you use the netinstall image? If so, you should select a good mirror or it will be downloading forever. Of course this only applies in the last stage of the installation. In which part are you? The one after you are prompted to choose a mirror?

It was still going when I woke up so I just pulled the plug on it, I downloaded the ISO file and then installed that from CD. It must have been downloading stuff. I'm not very familiar with Debian I saw some sceenshots of it on the net and heard it was one of the most stable Linux OS's so I thought I'd give it a go.

I tried to install it again this time with no Internet and it wouldn't let me. To be honest I don't really know what doing when it comes to Debian seems a bit to complicated and unclear for me.

Maybe I've downloaded the wrong version.

I could spend the whole day explaining everything you have to know. Read the docs.

In the download page, there is an entry that reads "There are too many files, which one do I need?" Or something similar. Read that. Then, read the installation guide.

On the "Getting Debian" site, select "64-bit torrent (DVD)". That has a lot of stuff, included some DEs I think. Select the iso number 1 (it's about 4Gb), and connect to the internet. This one won't download a lot so it will save time during the installation. A lot of time. Then, burn the ISO to a USB drive with Rufus, using MBR or GPT as needed (MBR is the safe choice).

I could spend the whole day explaining everything you have to know. Read the docs.

In the download page, there is an entry that reads "There are too many files, which one do I need?" Or something similar. Read that. Then, read the installation guide.

On the "Getting Debian" site, select "64-bit torrent (DVD)". That has a lot of stuff, included some DEs I think. Select the iso number 1 (it's about 4Gb), and connect to the internet. This one won't download a lot so it will save time during the installation. A lot of time. Then, burn the ISO to a USB drive with Rufus, using MBR or GPT as needed (MBR is the safe choice).

Debian is to confusing for me I just went with Lubuntu I could have gone with Ubuntu but I prefer Lubuntu as it has less stuff and more to work with in regards to making your computer do what you want it for. Its pretty lightweight as well.

I have looked at other OS Linux distro's but most seem to be a little wobbly for my liking.

LXDE is not for everybody. If you are used to tile your windows with the mouse, forget about that. It lacks some features and configuring it sometimes takes some XML knowledge.

By the way, Lubuntu doesn't have less stuff. It has the same stuff, the DE itself is just lighter.

If you want something without bloat, install Debian without a desktop (at the end when you are prompted to decide which components you want to install, select none), and when you log in run:

sudo apt install -y lxde-core

That gives you LXDE without any program that comes installed with the default desktop (like LibreOffice). If you want something more modern and Windows-like, run:

sudo apt install -y cinnamon-core

If you are trying to get started on Linux, I recommend you read "The Linux Bible" or "The Linux Command line" for a more practical approach with the CL. I'd you don't read anything, at least some documentation, you'll have a lot of trouble getting your OS up and running and you'll never stop distro-hopping because you'll be looking for something like Windows, and you'll never find it. That's my experience at least.

Back
Top Bottom