Your first computer, how did it change ur life

I kinda miss those desktops.

When I had the C64 I had a box full of C64 parts. Keyboards, chips and whatever to keep em going. I installed buttons so I can reset the C64 or the drive with a press.

When they first came out they ran hot and had a short life. I fixed mine by putting heat sinks on the chips. Commodore later installed heatsink/shield combo on the 64s.

When I got a 286 with a monochrome monitor and floppy drives I had to insert a dos disk to boot up. I thought I had to give up Commodore 64 for this ??

Nevertheless I stuck with it even though they cost more to buy and use. I was getting my parts from the Air Force base surplus store and Goodwill.

Last edited:
I splurged on my first computer and went with CGA graphics instead of the text only green screens that most had those days. With CGA, I could have 4 of the ugliest colors you ever saw at an awesome 320x200 resolution! :)

I splurged on my first computer and went with CGA graphics instead of the text only green screens that most had those days. With CGA, I could have 4 of the ugliest colors you ever saw at an awesome 320x200 resolution! :)
:lol: hehehe I think i remember a i think 386 or 486 that had the first color monitor. I know it had to be low res but not to bad. that was around 90 or 91 maybe. I think it was a toshiba i think. Made my mouth water!!

:lol: hehehe I think i remember a i think 386 or 486 that had the first color monitor. I know it had to be low res but not to bad. that was around 90 or 91 maybe. I think it was a toshiba i think. Made my mouth water!!
By 90 or 91, I was running VGA or SVGA graphics. IBM came out with the first VGA card in 1987 and I jumped on the new standard. Bought a card and monitor for my IBM XT/286. VGA could do 640x480 with 16 colors!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom