Aeon Up-Board - Power Adapter ??

jcutcher77

Beta member
Hello all,
Thank you for reading this. I just ordered my first single board computer, Aeon Up-Board. Quad-Core Atom proc, 4 GB DDR3, etc... Their site sells a power adapter / AC Adapter with the output of 5 Volts, 4 Amps. I do not know if this adapter is regulated / switching /etc. I purchased a similar power adapter, with the same output, 5 Volts, 4 Amps. Is this generally OK? Am i missing something? I don't want to fry this thing.

Before you ask... I only purchased an aftermarket power adapter because the one on their site looks inexpensive, but add $32 for shipping... not cool.

Any comments (or insults) welcome :)

Thank you for any comments!

I found a website for Aeon single-board computers and I found a website for Up single-board computers but could not find anything about an Aeon Up-Board. As AMD_man said, can you post a link to the website?

You should be OK with an aftermarket power adapter. 5V is critical, you should make sure that the current rating is 4A or HIGHER, don't try to go lower.

What do you plan to use this board for? Do you have a particular project in mind or do you plan to use it as a general purpose computer?

Yes planning on using it for a normal computer. Maybe a media center. However I cannot get it to boot from any USB. I verify the USBs or bootable from other computers. However the BIOS is very limited. It does not boot anything to load any operating system and I'm going to return it. I am very unhappy with this purchase.

I doubt you would be happy with any of the single-board computers as a "normal" computer. They are really meant for specific applications such as industrial and robotic systems.

If you want a single-board computer to play around with as a hobby, you might consider a Raspberry Pi computer at a cost of $35. Lots of people use the Pi as a media center PC. However, this little computer runs a modified version of Linux called Raspbian and will not run Windows. https://www.raspberrypi.org/

Hey, i've been thinking of getting one of those. did you get the core or squared version?

and fwiw, that board should be more powerful than a raspberry pi. the core has the z8350 that's popular in cheap windows tablets and the squared has a fairly decent pentium.

Let me know how you like it, i'm very interested to know!

as for the boot issue, i found this: UP Board can not find any drives! — upcommunity

if you can't access the eMMC it won't load an os...

No question that the board is more powerful than a PI, also more expensive.

PIs are fun to play around with and not that expensive but I wouldn't want one as my main or only computer.

Main computer, heck no, i already have a decent rig. But i wouldn't mind having one as a backup computer.

Back
Top Bottom