Help Configuring VM Roles for High Availability

Jake22

Baseband Member
I'm relatively new to this so bear with me. I've recently created a failover cluster network in a VMWare Workstation 14 environment. It consists of 1 storage server and 2 cluster nodes. All 3 of them running Windows Server 2016 Standard and joined to the same domain. I added and configured the cluster storage so that it's available to both cluster nodes. Then I went into the Failover Cluster Manager and created the cluster and added and configured the disks (1 storage disk for the Hyper-V VM storage and 1 quorum disk witness). I also got the Hyper-V VMs (1 of them is the DC) moved over to the cluster storage.

In the Failover Cluster Manager, I went to Roles > configure role > selected the virtual machine role > selected the VM I wanted to be highly available > clicked next and made it highly available. Everything works fine with that VM. The problem I am having is when I go to make another VM highly available, I do the same exact process again, selected the VM role again, but that 2nd VM I add shows up under the same role as the 1st VM I made highly available. Why does it keep doing this?? I don't want both VMs under the same role. I want each machine to be in a separate VM role so that they can failover separately. I've spent HOURS trying to figure this out. I've watched videos on YouTube and they seem to be able to do it just fine. I've also been able to do this in the past but just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I only have experience in hyper-v, but have you tried creating a separate role before you make the new vm? it looks like you're making a new vm in the same role. But this is just a guess...

Update:

I went into the Failover Cluster Manager and created the CSV (cluster share volume). Then, I moved the VMs over to it and it worked!

Back
Top Bottom