Random Chit Chat

I just ordered a Fire HD8 for $50. I have Prime and wifi on my cable net so it should be more fun than my phone.

Almost 22K reviews with 4 of 5 stars rated. Must be pretty good but need to find out if I can get connections without my $75/mo net.

It's capable of connection with public hotspots but ain't one near here.

The $50 Fire HD8 is usually with "Special Offers" (meaning advertising). Were you able to get the one without special offers for $50? They are generally priced at $65.

My first tablet a few years back was the original Fire. It was a fun tablet but unless things have changed there are some gotchas with it such as no Google Play.

Does anyone know how the Chrome cast works.

or the chrome cast setup page has some code that can use your wireless adapter to scan for networks, and connect to networks (i.e the chromecast AP) and send information, then reconnect your existing WIFI, - without you knowing about this...

This exactly.

It switches your computer from it's home wifi network to the AP chromecast broadcasts, and then switches back after it shares the connection information.

I actually had to re-setup mine after i got a new wifi AP. I was using my phone on 5ghz, then it switched to the chromecast ap, gave it the passwords for my 2.4ghz network and then switched my phone to the 2.4 ghz network.

The $50 Fire HD8 is usually with "Special Offers" (meaning advertising). Were you able to get the one without special offers for $50? They are generally priced at $65.

My first tablet a few years back was the original Fire. It was a fun tablet but unless things have changed there are some gotchas with it such as no Google Play.

Yes, I have the special offers and yes, there's a workaround to get Google play.

I'm sure Celery will be able to "side load" Google Play but most users eyes glaze over when you start telling them to download an APK.

I'm in for a Radiofrequency Ablation procedure this morning on my neck. This is a long term pain relief method. I'm scheduled at 11:15 am.

I was supposed to have that done last week but they moved it to today so the doctor can do his Xmas thing. My neck's been hurting for months because my ins won't approve it til recently.

I need injections for my lower back too. I wonder how long that's gonna take before they say ok.

Talk about a tight wad ins.

This exactly.

It switches your computer from it's home wifi network to the AP chromecast broadcasts, and then switches back after it shares the connection information.

I actually had to re-setup mine after i got a new wifi AP. I was using my phone on 5ghz, then it switched to the chromecast ap, gave it the passwords for my 2.4ghz network and then switched my phone to the 2.4 ghz network.

I'm not sure I like a web page being able to "silently" change my wireless network in that way.

I would be less bothered if it asked for permission to change the network I was connected to, like this is a security flaw in the browser.

I'm not sure I like a web page being able to "silently" change my wireless network in that way.

I would be less bothered if it asked for permission to change the network I was connected to, like this is a security flaw in the browser.

I think i remember it being in the fine print that it was going to change your wifi network to get things set up, but i was using the google home application on my android phone to do it.

Back
Top Bottom