Random Chit Chat

Amazon has always stood behind everything I've bought thru them and made returns or adjustments super easy and no cost. With Ebay, a return is costly because, in all cases I've been involved with, return shipping is paid for by the buyer.

I've gotten screwed a couple of times with deals on Ebay, never with Amazon.

I always used the Buy It Now to get the pieces i needed to build my computer. Also, I have found that most items are cheaper on E-bay than the sites that normally sale these products. I found a fan i liked for the processor on Newegg and on the ebay site Newegg had the same fan for about 5 bucks less!!! You may have to do research what you want but the deals are out there. A friend on another forum was talking about a vacumn that he found on Amazon for something like 100 bucks i think. I went to E-bay and found the same Vacumn for about half of what he paid. Still won't talk to me yet. Sorry if i plugged E-Bay but it has been that good for me. I have had to return things that didn't work but you can get a lemon on Amazon too! Celery just did. I don't know how much of a hassle it was to get it replaced but i have E-bay backing me up on anything i get from them. They also work with PayPal to get the funds returned to my account. One last thing, I don't have to pay a fee to use the Amazon site for orders. Root is right!!:hide:

I think Buy It Now option works out ok on Ebay. Most Etailers have their own sites and have a presence in Ebay too.

I just have no use for Ebay and I'm well established in Amazon and Walmart. Also AutoZone for my car parts.

By the way, I'm getting value out of my Amazon Prime for $5.99/mo. Not only the Prime Video are great, the reduced prices and fast shipping are too. I ordered a 3500 maH battery for my Galaxy on5 phone for $12.95 and got it in two days. It came in yesterday.

I once bought an 8-bit VGA card from an Ebay seller. I paid for the card plus shipping. However, when the card arrived, it was a 16-bit card. I contacted seller who said, no problem, return it and he'd send the right one. I paid to ship the card back to the seller and the seller acknowledged he received the card but never sent the replacement. I contacted Ebay who opened an investigation. The first thing they did was put a hold on his money. He contacted me saying tell Ebay to release his money and he would send the card. I said, send the card and I would have Ebay release the money. In the end, Ebay decided in my favor so told me to provide proof that I had returned the item. All I had for proof was an email from the seller saying he had received the item I returned but that was NOT good enough for Ebay.

In the end, I was out the money I spent to buy the item (which Ebay kept) plus shipping in both directions. The seller still had the item to sell again and lost no money. Pretty screwed up transaction all-in-all.

Last edited:
Before buying from a private buyer Check his history. There is a scale that tells how good his service is. Also there are reviews that you can read before trusting the seller. If there is not much there, go another seller. E bay can be a crap shoot but if you do the homework you can usually find what you need at a good price. I went through 3 motherboards to get one that worked perfect. I had no issues with returns and in two of them i had to just print out the mailer card and place it on the box going back to them. I only have one time i had to pay postage to return one item. For the most part everything worked right out of the box. One other thing, unless you can't help it or you really need whatever you need, don't buy used. I never bought used. Everything was new! Sounds like a hassle but i built my computer for cheap. It works like it is supposed to. Its not top end and i could have done that but my price range wouldn't let me do it. Overall, i had good luck all around with my buying parts. Will continue to in the future. I have heard bad about both amazon as well as E-Bay. You can get both good and bad from both. Depends on the seller. Wd65

I've gotten plenty of good deals from Ebay (I've sold things there as well) but have gotten screwed over on a couple of transactions. Ebay, Amazon, Newegg, Craiglist, etc... are all places to look at when searching for a deal.

Ebay once invited me into their physical office and video taped me while I was searching their site for an item I was interested in purchasing. It was about 5 years ago and I believe I was looking to buy an SSD. I didn't buy anything from Ebay that day but they bought me lunch and gave me $100 to boot. It was a fun few hours.

Dan, you went through three duds before you got a board that worked. You wasted time and money. What does that tell you?

I returned three items in my lifetime and they were brand new stuff with one exception. The motherboard I bought new from Newegg was an opened and returned item. I rose a big stink on ResellersRating site about Newegg pulling this stunt.

The head honchos at Newegg fixed it the way it should've been done in the first place and sent me a brand new board that I paid for plus a $25 credit. The rest were just defective including that dash cam I've just returned with no problem.

The dash cam as suggested by Celegorm is excellent. The cam I bought and returned was a cheaper model because of what I had left in my bank account. That was a bad move as no research was done and I screwed myself.

By the way, I just got my refund today so all is well.

Back
Top Bottom