Win 10 first impressions

So I guess like linux they keep the huge number of sentient users in frustration to keep Eejits from shooting themselves in the foot.

Yup, 4 way stop signs, 15mph school zones, 70% passing grade on the driver's test, automatic door locks... keep them safe.

Windows 7 never had any surprises, I refuse to continue to hunt down other fixes for "improvements" I find, I'm out of that and back to 7. I am Soooo glad I didn't pay for that junk! Even for free I should bill them for my time wasted.

I don't think there is a registry hack to get my bluetooth adapter working, or my USB 3.0 PCI card working, or enable CD ripping again? The more I played with it the more I saw I couldn't tolerate losing what I lost for gaining a bit more disk space.

I had the problem that I don't have write access to my root folder... Seems to be random. Every time I install Win10 something different happens regarding this issue. I don't know why it happens or how to fix it, and all the crap online doesn't help.

I don't think there is a registry hack to get my bluetooth adapter working, or my USB 3.0 PCI card working, or enable CD ripping again? The more I played with it the more I saw I couldn't tolerate losing what I lost for gaining a bit more disk space.

The first two things sound like driver issues, usually they work with the older windows 7 drivers. and afaik cd ripping is still doable in windows 10, are you really unable to rip cds?

I would contact the mfr of your devices that don't work and ask them if they have drivers available and if not, why not? It really should be on the mfr's shoulder to make their products compatible, not on MS to ensure compatibility.

What software are you using to rip CDs? Have you tried different software?

As the upgrade destination I used my Win7 backup drive. Once I found out that I'd continue to unmask new things that stopped working I formatted the drive and used it to get my live Win7 drive back.

And yes I couldn't rip CD's, I have used media player for years and wasn't about to start hunting Win7 happy software, drivers and hardware to get back where I was before I downloaded Win10, that's a deal breaker for me.

Another REALLY annoying thing was my Firefox would not open a new tab in foreground when I opened one up I had a second operation to click to get the new tab to the front. Minor yes, but annoying.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

I would contact the mfr of your devices that don't work and ask them if they have drivers available and if not, why not? It really should be on the mfr's shoulder to make their products compatible, not on MS to ensure compatibility.

What software are you using to rip CDs? Have you tried different software?

Sorry, I disagree. MS can and should be able to use existing drivers. Suppose a maker went out of business?

It's ALWAYS been better to buy a brand new system with a new MS O/S release than upgrade, 10 was no exception, in this case I just saw no benefit to keeping something I had to struggle with... to what end? Just to have a new O/S? Nah, goodbye Win10

Last edited:
Sorry, I disagree. MS can and should be able to use existing drivers. Suppose a maker went out of business? [/qoute] sometimes that isn't possible, an unbelievable amount of sound cards, (and midi related software,) broke on the advent of Windows 2000, with ring0 dll and no direct hardware access.
Sometimes it's not just a case of a manufacturer using some other API call as the e hating API call does not exist, and nothing like it exists, and despite the fact that it rendered hundreds worth of hardware useless, that is actually a good thing.

It's ALWAYS been better to buy a brand new system with a new MS O/S release than upgrade
Nah, Windows 10 is a steaming turd regardless of whether you upgrade of get it pre-installed.

also, iirc mashing F8 will put you into the screen to select safe mode at post

Nope, disabled, why, to get a faster boot. -you see this is what happens when technical direction of a multinational company starts getting set by a bunch of but hurt fanboys who complain that Linux boots faster. (Yeah to command prompt, but we'll just ignore that) or Nac gets to desktop faster (but we'll ignore the spinner than means that you cannot actially use anything for a while.)

You need to use BCDedit with a set legacy boot switch (and delay the boot time by a whole second (or less) to get this (really damned useful) functionality back.

Nope, disabled, why, to get a faster boot. -you see this is what happens when technical direction of a multinational company starts getting set by a bunch of but hurt fanboys who complain that Linux boots faster. (Yeah to command prompt, but we'll just ignore that) or Nac gets to desktop faster (but we'll ignore the spinner than means that you cannot actially use anything for a while.)

I've always had worse boot times with Ubuntu, Mint and Debian, and many other distros, including Arch-based like Manjaro.

Back
Top Bottom