The best security

jetsmell

In Runtime
My computer is used for gaming and the internet, and banking. I'm looking for a good set-up that isn't a hog on the system. Right now I pay for Advance System Care Ultimate which has the virus, it also checks to make sure the drivers are up to date, and a few other features. I also have the free version of CCleaner. Let me know what you use.

I run a scan with the free version of Malwarebytes occasionally. I also let Windows Defender do it's thing. I don't really think a paid antivirus program is worthwhile anymore.

I have to agree that using windows defender in windows 10 is good enough.

Just keep it updated, and you're good. I never used windows defender when I ran windows 7 on my computer...I just never liked it.

If you want to be sure, there are a few things you can install:

• An antivirus program, maybe Bidefender or Avast
  • A firewall, like Comodo or Zonealarm
  • MBAM as a second layer for random scans and whatnot
  • Spywareblaster
  • An anti-keylogger. The last one I used was Ghostpress, which seems to be pretty good, although it needs some initial settings that may be annoying for some
  • Secunia PSI or other software updater tool, since outdated software can make your computer vulnerable
  • Maybe a VPN, although sometimes they can really screw up your bandwidth and have limited data, unless you pay for them
  • A few secondary programs, like Unchecky, a browser extension that checks if sites are safe based on user reviews (WOT was an option but then something happened that I can't remember now and became insecure, Avast has an extension for this though), CCleaner, Adblockers, etc.

If you think you could be already infected then you should clean your computer first, or do a clean Windows install.

Last edited:
If I had to run all that list of software to feel "safe" or "sure" while surfing the web, I'd turn my computer off and walk away from it because it simply wouldn't be worth my time to keep up with all of that. Not to mention that I have multiple computers which would make the task even more arduous.

Last edited:
This is the "Best" security. Most viruses and malware really depend on the user doing something they really shouldn't, like blindly clicking on a link.

On a serious note, I usually run AVG and malwarebytes on my family's computers whenever they say things are running slow. (there's no effing reason it should run slow, there's ssd's in all of my family's computers now.) Usually it turns up a few trojans and some chrome redirect viruses that send you to ads instead of the website you tried to visit.

Back
Top Bottom