Hi, I am "AintGottaClue," and that's the truth!!

AncientOne

Solid State Member
I am an elderly (OK, older than dirt) computer semi-literate, with an ancient Dell Optiplex 755, which has all the hardware that Microsoftie no longer supports, and an out-of-date version of Windows 10 Home (version 1511). However, the thing works pretty good and is plenty agile enough for all I use it for...has a 3.0 GHz processor, and 8 GB DDR2 RAM.
But with the Windows 10 version no longer receiving updates, I am wondering if switching to Linux (Ubuntu, Mint, or Fedora) might be advisable? Questions I have are: (1.) Can the Linux OS install be downloaded to a microSD Card and installed from the Card? (If not, I'll have to get a package of DVDs.) (2.) Would Ubuntu be the best version for someone like me who is a real semi-literate when it comes to computers? (Hey, I don't even like my so-called smartphone, and I have enough problems with IT!!) I want to keep this as simple as possible, because if there's a way to screw it up, I'll probably find it.
Appreciate any advice!! Thanks!!

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think you will find that Linux is a massively geeky thing to be honest. You will get people on here and other forums telling you that Linux is easy (not true) and it's free (true) and it will do everything that Windows does (only partially true) The bottom line is that you need to try it and see what you think. You say that you are only semi-literate as far as computers are concerned. In all honesty, if that is the case you will have difficulties. Please do not think that I am telling you not to try it. That is most definetly not the case. The really really excellent thing about Linux of any flavour is that you can try it without actuall installing it. It runs quite nicely, at least to try, from a live DVD or a USB pen drive.

I don't how computer literate you are or not but I am going to explain how to do that. First off you need to download a Linux distro. I use Xubuntu but there are others. Some will tell you Linux Mint is okay, which it is or you could try the cut down versions like Puppy Linux there are loads out there. When you download a Linux Version or distribution (distro) it will come down as an ISO. An ISO is a file that, using the right program(I use Cdburnerxp which is free), you can burn a bootable DVD of your preferred Linux distro. You can then use that DVD to boot up your computer and actually run and use whatever Linux version you have decided to use.

That is, very basically, how you do it to try Linux without destroying your existing Windows installation. You can also dual boot Linux but that is a whole different ball game if you are a semi-literate computer user. There are a myriad of Linux forums out there but everyone on them talk Linux geek. Having said that they can be useful and informative.

You could upgrade your Windows 10 version as well. I have a Dell Optiplex ( cannot remember the model number but it's a 7 something) and that runs Windows 10 1703 and that works okay. I am surprised that Windows hasn't updated automatically to be honest but if you want to update it then this website is a good place to start. https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4028685/windows-10-get-the-fall-creators-update

As I have said give it a whirl you may like it and get on with it and providing you haven't destroyed your Windows installation you can always go back if you don't like Linux. Good luck and we can help on here.

Will get a pack of DVD's and try one of the Linux distros, see what happens. The computer is working fine, I just don't like the idea of running a completely unsupported OS.

Welcome! I'm one of the old farts of this forum so I can relate somewhat to you in that respect.

I would advise that you try more than 1 of the Linux distros. That's what is great about the "Live CD" option that almost all Linux ditros support that pete.i was talking about. You boot and run the distro from the CD without making any changes to your existing system.

I would try 3 or 4 different distros so you can see a variety of them before deciding to install any of them. Once you decide on one you like, you can install it right from the booted CD. You might want to try a dual boot system where you can decide at boot-time to boot Linux or Win 10. That way you can keep your Win10 system to use any Windows only software you may have.

One of the drawbacks to the "Live CD" option is that you will have very restricted ability to save anything while booted from the CD but that isn't a problem after you finally install the distro you choose.

I'm not sure why your Win 10 system isn't receiving updates. Maybe the update service got disabled or something like that. If you want some help troubleshooting that, we can help with that as well.

Last edited:
Welcome! I'm one of the old farts of this forum so I can relate somewhat to you in that respect.

I would advise that you try more than 1 of the Linux distros. That's what is great about the "Live CD" option that almost all Linux ditros support that pete.i was talking about. You boot and run the distro from the CD without making any changes to your existing system.

I would try 3 or 4 different distros so you can see a variety of them before deciding to install any of them. Once you decide on one you like, you can install it right from the booted CD. You might want to try a dual boot system where you can decide at boot-time to boot Linux or Win 10. That way you can keep your Win10 system to use any Windows only software you may have.

One of the drawbacks to the "Live CD" option is that you will have very restricted ability to save anything while booted from the CD but that isn't a problem after you finally install the distro you choose.

I'm not sure why your Win 10 system isn't receiving updates. Maybe the update service got disabled or something like that. If you want some help troubleshooting that, we can help with that as well.

I have been online with Microsoft Techs at least 4 times trying to get a newer version of Windows to install...it will not accept the install by remote control from them. We tried to download the ISO and install, no go. This thing just will not accept a later version, and even THEY can't figure out why!! The update assistant works just fine...it just keeps popping up and attempting to install, but every time it gets to about 65-85% installed, it fails...always with the same error code (having to do with an audio driver), but the drivers are all up to date, and verified by Microsoft, and even they can't figure out why that code keeps popping up! The last tech said the only solution he could see would be to disable and hide the Update Assistant and just run with the system the way it is since everything works and there are no other issues. Even THAT didn't work, as the Update Assistant is STILL popping up and attempting to install the latest version of Windows 10!! Aggravating!!
However, I do not particularly like running an OS that isn't supported and cannot receive updates....which is why I am considering Linux. What I will do is on my trip to Wally World next week, I'll get a pack of DVDs and do what you suggest, download several versions of Linux and play around with them and see which I like best. (Hopefully I can follow the instructions!) Oh, one question, would it be possible to download the Linux distro to a microSD Card and use that rather than a DVD? I have 64 GB microSD Cards on hand.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard :D

Ah, I don't consider the Optiplex 755 ancient. I have an ancienter (if that's a word) PC with inferior specs (I added a 7 year old cheap video card to play FullHD video tho) and it received Win10 updates up to the latest major one last week (ver. 1709). Yours should work.

I read your explanation. The audio device seems to be the first suspect since you talked about like so. Is it a built-in audio or a dedicated sound card? If it is the former try going to the BIOS and disable the audio device (we could give you steps if this solution interests you) then install the updates and deal with the audio drivers later. If it is the latter, physically disconnect it and try. But do that only if you are prepared for the worst which is getting a new dedicated audio device or a replacement for the dedicated if there was one. No need to have an audio device for OS installations.

As for which OS is better for semi-literate users, nothing beats Windows, in my opinion. It is the easier to use out there. Linux fits experts more even with the presence of some simplified distributions out there.

Welcome aboard :D

Ah, I don't consider the Optiplex 755 ancient. I have an ancienter (if that's a word) PC with inferior specs (I added a 7 year old cheap video card to play FullHD video tho) and it received Win10 updates up to the latest major one last week (ver. 1709). Yours should work.

I read your explanation. The audio device seems to be the first suspect since you talked about like so. Is it a built-in audio or a dedicated sound card? If it is the former try going to the BIOS and disable the audio device (we could give you steps if this solution interests you) then install the updates and deal with the audio drivers later. If it is the latter, physically disconnect it and try. But do that only if you are prepared for the worst which is getting a new dedicated audio device or a replacement for the dedicated if there was one. No need to have an audio device for OS installations.

As for which OS is better for semi-literate users, nothing beats Windows, in my opinion. It is the easier to use out there. Linux fits experts more even with the presence of some simplified distributions out there.

Well, miracle of miracles, this thing let me back on this time!! Every time I've tried to log in in the last few hours, it wound up sending me to "Page Not Found." OK..the audio is whatever was on the board (built in), ditto the graphics. I do not use the monitor speakers. I have a 2.1 channel el cheapo Gear Head speaker system plugged in to it. According to "Speccy" it just says "high definition audio device." However, according to the Control Panel there is something called "SoundMAX AudioESP" listed, as well as the "high definition audio device." But if I click on the SoundMAX AudioESP, nothing happens..doesn't matter if you right click or left click, nothing happens, and it is not listed by "Speccy" under the "Audio" section. I wouldn't mind having the latest version of Windows 10 Home, providing it would actually install, instead of getting somewhere between 65-86% installed, then failing every time!! I like Windows, even though it can be rather annoying at times.

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

I don't think it will work from an SD card. Mainly because you cannot make your computer boot from an SD card. It does work from a USB pen drive as long as your bios supports that. Everything supports booting from a DVD so that will be, by far, the easiest way to go. Tp put Linux on a pen drive I use this:-

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

OK, I'll pick up a pack of DVD's. Thanks for the info.

For some reason I get this "page not found" too. I go to the main page then the User CP to get it to work.

Yeah, Windows is known for it's hiccups. It is only good for its ease of use and compatibility (hardware and software specially games).

I remember in the old days Windows XP refused to go more than about half way installation and the problem turned out to the the built-in network. I disabled it and it worked then I re-enabled it to later.

Good luck finding the OS you're looking for :thumb:

As long as you have an internet connection, Linux is easy. If you run into a problem, then there is a very good chance someone else already has. Also, in all the time I've used it, I haven't used the console that much, although it is recommended to get familiar with the basic commands.

About the installation medium, is there a reason why you don't want to use a flash drive? They are very easy to create when on Windows.

Back
Top Bottom