GPU's... suggestions?

If you're going 2k (1440p) then I highly recommend a GTX 1070. The 1060 is a 1080p high performer (60fps) and a 1440p mid-range performer (45-60fps) on highest settings in AAA games.

As for the CPU, I recommend always getting the highest possible i5 when it comes to games. Clock speed is also important if you want to get high FPS like on 144Hz monitors. I know more than 60FPS may not be noticed, but it when I tried it it felt like seeing real life movement. Also who knows, maybe games will start using extra threads like some did like Grand Theft Auto and Battlefield 1 when intensive AI kicks in or physics (when set to use CPU) increases.

Thanks for info. Leaning towards 8th gen with a z300 board price diff not but and I agree always better to but the latest if possible. Especially motherboard. The 300 chipset would most likely be compatible with another gen of cpus and possibly RAM release.

And the card def going 1070 assuming funds allow it

Below card is at a decent price. A bit over budget but might just spash the 567 usd.
https://www.wootware.co.za/asus-dua...it-pci-e-3-0-white-desktop-graphics-card.html

I doubt the z300 boards will be compatible with next gen of processors. In theory the next generation will be Cannonlake, and probably will have a different socket.

By the way, games are already using more than 4 cores. I have tested with Fallout 4 and it uses all 8.

Still, I think Coffee Lake is just Intel struggling to stay present in the mid-range market.

IIRC, nvidia is supposed to be comming out with a 1070ti that has a similar amount of power to an original 1080. But that's just rumors until they announce it...

Interesting on the cannon lake. So if you in the market for a board and cpu it's prob best to wait it out?

Just got word of a i5 - 7500 for R2100 so +_ 150 usd. So might take that opportunity and will then spend a bit more on gpu

I wouldn't wait for Cannonlake. It's been announced for who knows how long. It will be overpriced anyways.

I don't know how taxes are in your area, but that deal seems good. I would take it if you won't be overclocking. It will make your build a lot cheaper if you don't overclock. Although you may have to upgrade sooner. But an I5 7500+GTX 1060 combo is good for now, and will be for a while. Besides 6Gb of VRAM is more than enough to for 720p, and for 1080p too.

You should also consider the RX 500 series from AMD. You'd get a little more VRAM and Crossfire ability, so that's something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom