Only one web location opens.

It's not possible to get the latest version of internet explorer for XP anymore. IE8 was the last available and cannot run many newer web technologies.

Firefox should have the ability to save passwords. might have to poke around the settings for it. Not sure about PDFs though.

Well Avant browser accesses the web page that i print the PDF file from. So I am guessing that Firefox is being updated. See Avant browser saves passwords very easily.

Windows XP had another 80 updates last night after the initial 68.

I use Foxit PDF Reader and it interfaces with Firefox. I just have mine set to open them separately instead of in a tab.

Using XP is fine, -I still use XP for some machines. (Older laptops I'm just using for specific purposes, or to run older software.

If you are happy with its limitations then that is fine.

No, there are no updates for XP, you can still get all the updates that were ever made, but there are plenty of open security issues that remain open and will not be fixed, so, it's really a case of treading carefully, personally, I wouldn't put an XP machine on the Internet, though if you want to, that's your business!

The screen shot, seems to suggest that you can ping the Google dns servers 8.8.8.8 so I guess the next question is, can you resolve names effectivly, -what happens if you try to "ping" Google

As it goes, the command you really wanted was ipconfig /all so you could see what DNS servers are configured.

Also you have a public address, are you connecting directly to your cable? No router/firewall combo in the way? (That is not a great idea at the best of times, and certainly not a good idea for an XP box!)

Using XP is fine, -I still use XP for some machines. (Older laptops I'm just using for specific purposes, or to run older software.

If you are happy with its limitations then that is fine.

No, there are no updates for XP, you can still get all the updates that were ever made, but there are plenty of open security issues that remain open and will not be fixed, so, it's really a case of treading carefully, personally, I wouldn't put an XP machine on the Internet, though if you want to, that's your business!

The screen shot, seems to suggest that you can ping the Google dns servers 8.8.8.8 so I guess the next question is, can you resolve names effectivly, -what happens if you try to "ping" Google

Yes there are as I wrote in post 20.

Yes there are as I wrote in post 20.
It must be that your computer is just behind on Windows Updates. There truly are none developed for XP anymore.

Windows Update does not download all of them at once. It's very likely some are still being found by your system. Depending on your settings and reliability of your connection, it can be very slow.

Back
Top Bottom