SSD For Old Desktop

This SSD has the pin connectors no cable. Here is a photograph.

My plan is to remove the HDD then install the SSD then install Windows from there.

What kind on BIOS changes?

Since I will be starting from new because there is not much on the computer now that I need to save.

IMG_4452.jpg

Last edited:
If it's a new Windows installation, then just switch them.

Those connectors are SATA connectors. If your current HDD is SATA compliant then just disconnect it and connect the new SDD in its place. Is the HDD's connectors like this:
hard_drive2.jpg

?

If yes, then you'll have to check if your motherboard supports SATA and has data SATA connectors like these:
mbsataports.JPG

And your PSU has SATA power connectors like these:
sata-hard-drive-power-cable-connector.jpg

Although this last point can be solved with IDE to SATA adaptors like these:
53673-a.jpg

If the mobo is already SATA compliant, data SATA cables should be included. You'll have to buy new one if they are not. The look like this:
CM-CAB-SATA-30KK-R-2-270x270.jpg

It is said that different SATA gens. are different inside (but fully compatible) to support higher speeds. Just check what SATA gen. are the mobo and the SSD and keep that in mind asking when purchasing.

As for the BIOS, it depends on your mobo. It could be called SATA configuration or setting or compatibility, etc. If you're on Windows 7 and above, it's typical to have on AHCI and on older than that it must be IDE to avoid blue screens. IDE should work on all OS's but I never tried it.

Last edited:
Installed the SSD. Installed Windows. But why did windows install on something called a E drive. Would this effect how Windows operates? IMG_4456.jpg

Normally it should not make a difference. There are however some rare cases that do.

Looks like you already have a drive named C:\. Since it is removable, remove it and change the Windows drive letter in Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management by right clicking on the drive letter and selecting "change drive letter". Make sure no other drives are there first with the target drive letter. If so, change them first to other letters.

Did you use the first SATA port? Typically Windows automatically chooses the letter C with that if no forceful addressing was done prior.

You mean in BIOS settings in boot from preferences to choose SATA?

Can not change the drive letter.IMG_4457.jpg

Last edited:
You mean in BIOS settings in boot from preferences to choose SATA?

Can not change the drive letter.View attachment 2529

I mean the physical port on the mobo where the SATA data cable is connected. It should be called something like SATA 0-0 or 0-1 depending on the brand. Different mobos sometimes have specific ports for best results mentioned on a sticker or in the user's manual. If the mobo uses more the one SATA controller, use the first port of the default controller which is usually Intel's. They should be colored accordingly.

Not sure if Windows is gonna change the drive letter with that since the installation is complete, but at worse, the computer is still fresh so a new install won't be a big problem specially that the SSD is fast enough to cover up for that.

Actually there is not any cable. The SSD just plugged into a slot. Did not see any cable when the little cover was off over the SSD.

There is 1 x Drive Bay for 2.5" SATA HDD.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom