Random Chit Chat

That truck is going to keep you busy Dan. At 300K lots of parts are going to be worn.

Beside the bearing jobs, you'll probably need brakes too.

Make sure that rear end have oil. I've had a rear end run dry on me, melted the darn gears.

Last edited:
yep, i hear ya. Plan to put new shoes on it too. The ones on the right side will be contaminated. So i was already working on that. My issue is finding a place to press the bearing off and new one on. The rest is easy. I have a lead but nothing in stone. I can't do it till the first of the month so i am not using the truck....much. The worst that could happen is the axle would get too hot and start a fire with the rear-end fluid. Not driving it much or far for now. Trying to get everything ready so thats all for now. WD65

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

That truck is going to keep you busy Dan. At 300K lots of parts are going to be worn.

Beside the bearing jobs, you'll probably need brakes too.

Make sure that rear end have oil. I've had a rear end run dry on me, melted the darn gears.

Me too! Didn't know it but my Camaro blew the Pinion seal along with the bearing. Cooked the rear-end. Exhaust was loud enough that i couldn't hear the rear-end going bad till it was to late. Truck is kinda loud but not as loud as my Camaro. :whistling: This started while on the trip.

You do know for a fact that your rear end has pressed on bearings rather than clips in the differential?

4 bolt caps on brake plates indicate pressed on bearings.

I have a nephew up in Wichita Falls,Texas that has the press and all the other stuff i need to do the job. Problem is its 100 miles away. I checked the rear end for fluid and its still full. So where the wet is coming from is not as bad as it looks. I am thinking about doing that trip and get it fixed there. John has about everything you would need for any kind of repair including engine rebuild. Hard to believe he's a pastor for a church instead of Mechanic working for himself. His garage is full of just about any kind of tool you could think of. Seems a waste to me, But glad i can do about any kind of repair you can think of. Saves me a bunch of money for sure. And, It gives me a reason to go see him and family.

As long as there's oil you can make that trip but the brakes will be shot pretty quick.

On second thought, how's the bearings? Is it pretty bad?

They klink when i go forward but not in reverse. Sounds like a u-joint but when under it you can tell. I am thinking about using 281 instead of I-35 and the hwy that goes from Dullas to Wichita Falls. route 287. 281 is a back road that goes thru every little town but no speed limits over 55 or maybe 60 mph. I can go slower if i need to.

I have thought about moving up that way. The managers of this court are getting ready to retire and who knows what will take there place. Found a couple of courts to try if i need to. Always good to have backups...:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom