1060 or 780

Chaory

Beta member
I recently ordered a GTX 1060 3GB, but found out that I won't receive it for up to 1 1/2 months. So I purchased a used GTX 780 SC. The plan is to sell one, after I get the 1060. My question is which one should I keep and which one should I sell?

I don't know anything about either of these cards. But judging from the model numbers the 1060 is a higher resolution than the 780. I would assume that the 1060 will display at 1060 pixels whilst the 780 will display at 780 pixels/whatever. These are standard resolution specifications so I would keep the 1080. having said that asking a question like that on here will get you ten thousand opinions all different LOL. Good luck.

Go with the 1060. It is newer tech and the power consumption and heat generated will be lower, as well as the performance will be equal to or better than the 780.

Go with the 1060. It is newer tech and the power consumption and heat generated will be lower, as well as the performance will be equal to or better than the 780.

That was what I was thinking to, but had 2nd thoughts on it when I read that it may run hot, since it only has one fan, and that it's a 192 bits vs the 384 bits on the 780. I do have 6 fans in my tower. 3 intakes and 3 outtakes.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

I don't know anything about either of these cards. But judging from the model numbers the 1060 is a higher resolution than the 780. I would assume that the 1060 will display at 1060 pixels whilst the 780 will display at 780 pixels/whatever. These are standard resolution specifications so I would keep the 1080. having said that asking a question like that on here will get you ten thousand opinions all different LOL. Good luck.

I don't think the model numbers has anything to do with resolution.

Oh I think it has otherwise why use standard resolution specifications. I suppose both cards could be made in the land of the scammers though.

The model numbers of the graphic cards have absolutely nothing to do with resolution. Generally speaking, the higher the model number the better the performance but that isn't always the case.

BTW, the 2 numbers mentioned, 780 and 1060 are NOT "standard resolution specifications". They may be similar to the video specs of 720 and 1080 but just about any card you buy today can handle those specs regardless of their model number.

I have a Nivdia GeForce 710 card that gives me 1280P With HDMI. Just shows that the numbers on the card don't mean anything as to the resolution. Higher numbers run cooler. More ram on the card the better the graphics speed.

Ah, I really recommend selling the 780 and cancel the 1060 3GB purchase (if you can) if you're a serious gamer (that's different than heavy gamer).

I'm playing Gears of War 4 and the VRAM is passing 3GB by far (total use with the desktop reaches 4GB) causing occasional stutter with new textures showing up so I had to reduce two texture settings from ultra to high to get ~2.4GB game usage to reduce the stutter (still exceeded 3GB a little sometimes with the desktop usage). The memory bus width on my GTX 680 4GB is 256-bit, higher than that on the 1060 3GB which means even slower texture swapping let alone the less size that causes using the much slower system RAM (which reached a crazy 14GB total of texture buffering at some point because of that!).

The 780 has faster memory bus width but is it at least 4GB? Games started to use more VRAM lately even at 1080p like with Gears of War 4.

Later models are better in terms of power and support, of course, but performance is always the target for gamers specially if it is noticeable. Try finding some gameplay of the same game on both cards on Youtube to compare. This could help.

And no, the model number indicates direct rule to do with the resolution. A lower model number could be able to use higher resolution that a higher model number.

Ah, I really recommend selling the 780 and cancel the 1060 3GB purchase (if you can) if you're a serious gamer (that's different than heavy gamer).

I'm playing Gears of War 4 and the VRAM is passing 3GB by far (total use with the desktop reaches 4GB) causing occasional stutter with new textures showing up so I had to reduce two texture settings from ultra to high to get ~2.4GB game usage to reduce the stutter (still exceeded 3GB a little sometimes with the desktop usage). The memory bus width on my GTX 680 4GB is 256-bit, higher than that on the 1060 3GB which means even slower texture swapping let alone the less size that causes using the much slower system RAM (which reached a crazy 14GB total of texture buffering at some point because of that!).

The 780 has faster memory bus width but is it at least 4GB? Games started to use more VRAM lately even at 1080p like with Gears of War 4.

Later models are better in terms of power and support, of course, but performance is always the target for gamers specially if it is noticeable. Try finding some gameplay of the same game on both cards on Youtube to compare. This could help.

And no, the model number indicates direct rule to do with the resolution. A lower model number could be able to use higher resolution that a higher model number.

I wanted to cancel the order for the 1060 3GB, but I couldn't. The 780 I believe only has 3GB and looks to be this model.
https://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=C811FD6B-7E4F-4C02-9839-9C581D7B338C
I got the 780 used, so I don't have the box.

Back
Top Bottom