Ryzen Ram compatibility

Sharpy1

In Runtime
I am planning a build

http://www.computerforums.org/forums/hardware/help-noob-230080/index3.html

Using
CPU: RYZEN 1600
MB: Asus prime B350 plus

I am looking for some ram that will be compatible with my build without needing to downclock the ram and work out of the box it's a first time build so I'm nervous about it

I have been looking at the QVL list for the motherboard but I don't understand it
I was hoping someone could help

QVL List http://www.computerforums.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2498&d=1507139948

Ram spec I am looking for

Capacity : 8gb
Speed : 3000mhz
Price : around £80

I will upgrade to more ram when funds allow

Last edited:
This is the way to do it (I'll be using a random part):

1. Go to PCPartpicker, and to select RAM
  2. Find the RAM you like, and select it.

ymwhfal.png
  3. Scroll to "Part #" and copy the code

nMIZIlq.png
  4. Go to the list, press Crtl+F, paste the part number, and if there are any matches, then your RAM should be compatible, if not, keep looking.

Following the method I described, the sticks you selected should be compatible. Part number is CMK8GX4M2B3000C15. The thing about that one, is that it shows up twice. Here is why that could be a problem:

It says that version 3.21 is supported, but not 4 DIMMs. However, I am not sure what that version number is supposed to mean. Maybe you should find something else. Like this one:

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bC6Rr7
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bC6Rr7/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£179.94 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (£72.48 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£83.97 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 (EU) 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£76.77 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £413.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-05 21:02 BST+0100

That one shows up on the list, and the 4 DIMMs seem to be working when populated, so I think we found your RAM. And it's 3200MHz so even better. Build is a bit over budget but not by much.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help I will have another look tomorrow

Do you think ryzen is still worth it with the upcoming Intel lineup

Thanks for your help I will have another look tomorrow

Do you think ryzen is still worth it with the upcoming Intel lineup

No accurate way to tell. What I can tell you is that a Coffe Lake rig will be more expensive than a similar Ryzen rig. That's how it works most of the time.

So ryzen is better I saw a few videos on YouTube called ryzen killer if the Intel counterpart would cost alot more it's not really a killer

I will stick with the ryzen build then

So ryzen is better I saw a few videos on YouTube called ryzen killer if the Intel counterpart would cost alot more it's not really a killer

I will stick with the ryzen build then
Usually the way it goes is this: Intel offers better stuff than AMD, so let's say AMD's best processor has a performance of 1, and costs $100. Intel's best processor will probably have a performance of 1,5, and will cost $250-300, so if you go Intel, you can have a computer with a performance of 150% of what AMD can offer, but you have to pay 3 times as much (that was the case with the 6800K and superior models a while ago). Also, if you want to buy an Intel that has a performance of 1, you'll pay $150. That's pretty much how it has been for a while. This are just very silly numbers, but you get the idea.

Some of the Ryzens required you to have a very good cooling system such as water cooling. AMD CPUs are known to run hot in history.

Intel CPU runs fine with stock cooling and they are 100% IBM compatible. AMD is not.

Nevertheless AMD gives you plenty of bangs for the bucks. It gives you budgeteers a chance for competitive systems.

LOL, didn't IBM compatibility stop being a thing at the turn of the millennium?

also, the stock cooler i got with my 1700 works just fine, but i haven't tried any overclocking yet...

Back
Top Bottom