Help a noob

Ok so it's worth going for the 6core 1600

Am I going to experience ram problems with this build
You are the only one who can answer that. You should try keeping an eye on how much you are using now. If you notice the usage going over 8Gb often, then yes. If not, you'll be fine, unless your plan is to use this new computer for more things.

Maybe you don't need a powerful processor but you need more RAM. You should keep an eye on things and decide for yourself.

I mean compatibility with Ryzen and high speed ram
Oh! Ryzen still has some issues with some RAM sticks. To check for compatibility, you should do the following (I'll be using the motherboard I chose for the last build):

1- Go to the motherboard site
2- Go to the support section
3- Go to "CPU support"
4- Go to "Memory/Device support"
5- Download the latest document available and check for compatible sticks and configurations

I didn't do this because it's sort of a pain, so I don't know if the Crucial I selected are compatible,but you should do it before ordering. You should find the size and speed that suits you and select from the compatible models.

I'll attach the one for this motherboard in this post.View attachment PRIME_B350-PLUS_Memory_QVL_20170704.pdf

The last build is the one I plan on using its worth the extra £40 for two more cores will help loads in the video encoding

That's the board I have been researching I have looked at that exact QVL it seems as if memory doesent run at the correct speed indicated in red (supported ryzen speed)

But have also seen people with memory running at 3200mhz with that board and ryzen

This is my first build on my own is there a better solution so I don't encounter unexpected problems

Last edited:
The last build is the one I plan on using
You should check if that RAM is compatible, then. If it isn't it's not a big deal. It's not like it won't work, it will only be downclocked to lower speeds, which sucks.

There are tons of compatible models. I would suggest you find something over 2900MHz:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_5_1600_review,24.html

I would help you out but I can't right now. Maybe you can open another thread and ask for help in this matter. Or ask around online for models that work without being downclocked. Just make sure you sort this out before ordering.

I'm going to get the 1600

Would be awsome to get two free cores lol

I'm just concerned about the ram compatibility

Last edited:
The list is very long and quite confusing I will get there :)

I have looked through the list and can't seem to find the ram you supplied for the build

Will ram speed matter for my non gaming workload

Last edited:
The list is very long and quite confusing I will get there :)

I have looked through the list and can't seem to find the ram you supplied for the build

Will ram speed matter for my non gaming workload
Yeah it is kind of a big deal. When doing CPU-intensive tasks, the processor wastes a lot of time waiting for the RAM to transfer data into the register. This problem is meant to be solved by the cache, which is memory located inside the processor chip, and it's not connected to the system bus. Also interruptions were created for this specific purpose. Still, the RAM must transfer data to the cache and that takes time, and more often than not, it means the processor will be idle waiting for data to be available. And you'll be wasting valuable clock cycles. The processor will be used to perform other tasks while an I/O operation is in progress, but that specific program will be stopped until it is completed. Maybe you don't care about any of this, but I'll say it just in case.

In simpler words, if you want to take full advantage of your powerful processor (and the 1600 is definitely one), and finish tasks as soon as possible, you'll want to get a good set of RAM sticks.

A good example of this situation is video editing. RAM speed is a very big deal for this sort of tasks.

I believe you are correct. The RAM I selected does not seem to appear on the list. Maybe a more expensive motherboard will have more people working on solving it's problems, or you could just use the list and select the RAM you like the most. It is a shame how the list is formatted. Getting part numbers is definitely slower than just checking the models.

Back
Top Bottom